Stingray problem

Chondromsb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
South Africa
Hi all. I presently have the only stingray I have ever kept. A motoro. He has never been a glutton like Ive seen on videos or on you tube. Ive had him about 10 weeks now and he lives in a 5 foot x 2 foot x 2foot bare bottom aquarium with a Silver Arowana. The Arowana is about 10 inches long and the rays is about 10 inches in diametre. Last night I watched him for quite a while and observed that he seems skinny. Pelvic bones showing and not looking very meaty or full. He is pretty active, not overly frantic in the tank and has experienced no bullying. Measured water parameters last night too. Temp- 29. Ammonia 0.01 on a nutrafin test kit after taking pH into consideration. Nitrites- 0, Nitrates between 10 and 20, pH-5.5. Foods been offered in the while I have had him, hikari sinking carnivore pellets, the tiny ones, Chopped prawn, hake, blood worms, snails from lfs and earthworms. Hes never shown any interest in any of these but I though he was eating when not disturbed by my prying eyes.
Any ideas on what I can do or change to try to get him to eat more. As far as I know he is from the east so Im sure he is captive bred???? They are never available here so info etc is very limited.
Any help will be very much appreciated. I would hate to lose this rare animal. Thank you.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
If he is not eating earthworms then he is not okay. Your ammonia needs to be zero with no reading at all from the test kit. Got any pics to be able to help more? What is your filtration and water change regime? PH is very low but as long as it is stable he should be okay. Does the aro eat?

Chondromsb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
South Africa
Will try send pics asap. Aro eating well and growing nicely. 40 to 50% water changes every 3 to 4 days. I use prime and stability with every water change. Have a canister filter that does 1300litres per hour and a drip diy sump thing made with plastic drawers. Tank is very clean with no debris etc but will rinse out cansiter as possible ammonia source. pH has been the same last 6 months tank has been running. Will try send pics asap.

Chondromsb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
South Africa
20140624_163333.jpg
20140624_163252.jpg
Snapped these 2 pics quickly. Will look at rinsing filter media, maybe wastes leeching ammonia if biological filtration limit exceeded.

20140624_163519.jpg

20140624_163333.jpg

20140624_163252.jpg

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Ammonia should be 0 and the ph is to low

6.5-7 will be much better also add some sand

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

alog6699

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2014
ct
ugh my ray was / is on skinny side i think shes ok now.. she is very picky! i have tried to be a good ray mom but it can be frustrating..ive tried scallops, tilipia..little necks..she doenst like all that...bloodworms yes *not very nutrious..* my home grown red wigglers...YES...live black worms..YES..she likes worms..its hard to vary a diet when she likes what she likes... i did try gut loading some mealworms too..she will eat those as well..shes prob little older than your motoro .. ..she has grown but not as fast as some others Oh and earthworms..when i first got her..she backed away from..she was scared..(shes a wimp)...so i cut them up for her in the beggining..now i dont and she lovees them she can gulp up 15 in five seconds..so maybe try cutting them up..maybe try black worms....

alog6699

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2014
ct
she wont eat SUPERWORMs. and she will not eat night crawlers... i dont think she likes thick things she has to work hard to eat.. I DID WAKE UP ONE MORNING and saw my tetra under he mouth! i was more shocked that she was acting like a predator and was proud of her..but she saw me..and gave up trying to eat it so the fish went to waste :( ....also if you really think shes not eating maybe try omega one super carnivore formula to get her started..it has bloodworms in it but also shrimp too .also the one other random food she will eat but no other variation is tropical crisps..SHES WIERD!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store