Is it true that?

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Is it true that ghost shrimp can't get infected with parasites? I want to use them as feeders and I don't have a quarantine tank. My lfs said they cant carry parasites but want to make sure before i throw them in my tank. Thanks

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Unfortunately, ...totally untrue. A study of ghost shrimps sold commercially has found 3 major taxa of parasites in ghost shrimp. Several species (and more) of parasitic isopods, nematods, and tapeworms have been found in shrimps offered in food markets, pet shops, and bait shops. A fairly common parasite that is easily seen moving under the transparent carapace of ghost shrimp is called the horsehair worm.

ghostshrimp2.jpg

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
Interesting thank you. One more reason why you cant always trust the LFS. Other than using a quarantine tank are there any other ways to confirm that feeders are disease free? Im guessing not but figured it was worth asking!!

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The only way to significantly reduce the risk of parasites in feeders is to raise your own. There are no foolproof guarantees when buying any live foods from others. Especially with commercially-raised live foods.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store