Red Cherry Shrimp

Mr.Leaf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
Vancouver WA
i got 8 of these from my buddy and i wanted to kno how sfast they grow and reproduce.. the biggest one i have is about a 3/4 of an inch and the smallest is about 1/4 of an inch....i have them in a lil 5 gal tank with some plants. are these good fish food if i can start Breeding them?

PUHUCBLMX2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2013
Costa Rica
Cherry shrimp will stay under 2". I don't know about breeding. However, most shrimp breed fairly well in clean water and planted tanks. good luck.

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
some of my ghost shrimps in the past will rip anything they can rip so IMO you need a separate tank

Soothing Shrimp

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2014
IL
I know this thread is a bit old, but hey- I'm exploring. LOL

Cherry shrimp tend to stay in the 1" range, andmake great fish food. For this reason many peopel tend to have a seperate tank for teh shrimp to breed in.

Different var of cherries tend to stay smaller like blue velvets, while wilds or cherries do grow a bit larger.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ This thread is mad old... if you're looking for Cherry Reds why not hit up your local fish shop, or maybe you could try ordering online from one of the vendors?

Jason82

Feeder Fish
Jan 22, 2015
Western Australia
I found that using Indian Almond Leaf in my tank keeps the Cherry Shrimp happy
They seem to like being left alone, so I keep bits of wood and moss in the tank and they seem to thrive

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ personaly, i would say they do seem to prefer waters with lower PH around 5.5-6...

So if you have hard water with high PH, they might be enjoying the softer water with lower PH bought on by the almond leaves / drfitwood...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store