Live Plants

Mr.Leaf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
Vancouver WA
I have 2 african spotted leaf fish in 75 gal tank i want to invest in a bunch of plants almost cover the whole tank...any particular plant this fish needs and what other plants could i use to make it look like real life feature..?

Smithmode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
Washington
I actually just went to my LFS today and purchased a lot of plants as I am doing the same for my fish.

The main thing is going to depend on what lighting you have.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Depends on the plants you want to grow but t5 is a good way to start. 50/50 tend to be a bit off on spectrum, they combine natural light which is what you want (around 6500k) with actinic light (10k+) for corals. Not sure if you can swap them out for plant specific bulbs but you will be happy you did. Plants cant use a lot of the blue light but algae can and will.

As far as plants to make it look natural its all up to you. I think some floating plants really make tanks look natural. Amazon frogbit is my fav floater. You could also do plants from the same area as your fish for a more biotope setup

chiz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2012
canada
I have two leopard ctenopamas in a planted tank, with an African butterfly fish, Senegal bichir, and kribs
Sent from my XT1058 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1403734963730.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1403734979097.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1403734991521.jpg

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
For lighting I would recommend 6500k bulbs if you plan to go with any sort of T8 lighting system, if you plan on using T5HO I'd go with the Ultra Growth Wave by Wave Point because they put out the two color spectrum's that inhibit chlorophyl A & clorophyll B within live plants. The 2 chlorophyll wavelengths for live plants are between 420nm - 460nm (blueish color), and 640nm - 660nm (red color)...

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Depending on the plants you want to keep you need plant specific substrate. Not gravel or sand but dirt of something like it. What you see is a sand cap covering the soil to make it look neater and keep light dirt from getting kicked up. Depending on the plants you want to keep this may or may not be necessary depending on how the plant feeds(from roots or from water column etc) some plants can live and grow in gravel or sand but it isnt ideal. Substrates like flourite or ecocomplete will be best for most plants

Mr.Leaf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
Vancouver WA
what if i used the plant substrate on top of my pebbles to give plant roots something to grab to..? would that work or would i have to take everything out and start over..?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store