Arowana drop eyes and food

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Its going to happen regardless, sure non fatty foods might help but if you keep it in a aquarium its just a matter of time before de happens.

ichthusfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2011
southkorea,seoul/Texas
Some people put pingpong balls on the surface of the water for the aro's eyes to concentrate to the top and if the lighting is strong, the aro will look down to avoid it

Sent from my SHV-E300K using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
You can't really prevent drop eye. I remember reading several years ago in the aro forum that aros that were kept in ponds developed dropeye less frequently somehow than those kept in aquariums, though I don't know how much truth there is to that claim. I've also never heard of anyone having success with the "ping pong ball method" or anything similar. It's really just all up to chance and genetics; some specimens just don't develop dropeye, but most do.

And yes, you can feed crickets to an arowana, but they won't offer much nutrition. Best to stick with pellets and raw fish fillets/market shrimp.

Wenzo0o0o0oo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2010
usa
You can't really prevent drop eye. I remember reading several years ago in the aro forum that aros that were kept in ponds developed dropeye less frequently somehow than those kept in aquariums, though I don't know how much truth there is to that claim. I've also never heard of anyone having success with the "ping pong ball method" or anything similar. It's really just all up to chance and genetics; some specimens just don't develop dropeye, but most do.

And yes, you can feed crickets to an arowana, but they won't offer much nutrition. Best to stick with pellets and raw fish fillets/market shrimp.
Thx , is there much fat in fish fillets and mp?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
You can always gut load insects to increase their nutritional value

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fatmatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2013
ca
I hear this a lot about insects and feeder fish not being nutritious enough. Do these fish get their nutrients elsewhere in the wild that they don't get in an aquarium? Those are they natural foods aren't they?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
I know there are many reasons for an arowana to get drop eye, but I'm thinking trauma, along with genetic traits, are the primary causes of drop eye. If it was due to diet or them looking down, you would expect to see both eyes pointing downwards, but it's more often in one eye than in both. Silver aros are by far the most easily spooked aro (in my experience) and they seem to hurt themselves quite often. While I have nothing to prove it, I would say that maybe silver aros have weak tissue above their eyes (as compared to the other aro species) and after a moderate impact that tissue weakens even more, causing the eye to begin dropping. I'm sure diet plays a role in developing the fatty tissue around the eye, but the initial impact is the primary cause. Maybe the other species of aros have different strength of tissue holding their eyes. The eyes are also quite distinctly different between the Asian and silver species.

This is all just my opinion on the matter anyways. Take it or leave it lol., but maybe it's not so much the arowana looking up in a pond, as it is the aro being able to see the sides of its containment and not constantly hitting it's eyes on the glass when it's spooked that improves/prevents their dropeye.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store