Nitrate removal in coldwater marine

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
So planning my shark tank I've started researching small coldwater sharks as well, such as pyjama or swell sharks. They would then be grouped coldwater larger fish like flounder, rock fish, etc. this sounds like a very fun and more unique tank, and a bonus is my basement is generally high 60s summer and low 60s winter, so cooling to 60f would be easier than heating to 78f I'm thinking (and I've thought about geothermal for my house anyhow, so could plumb it to both and get basically free chilling).

My question is about nitrate removal. From what I read the bacteria is much much slower and relying on live rock or sand to complete the nitrogen cycle is just not viable. I found a few examples where people control it like a freshwater tank - 50% water changes. That's fine on a 30 gallon tank, that's a lot of salt on a shark tank.

So how is nitrate controlled on large coldwater marine tanks? I've seen set ups at zoos, I doubt they do massive water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
The trick will be great mechanical filtration to pull waste out prior to it feeding into the nitrogen cycle and ending up as a nitrate problem in the tank. Big pt skimmer and/or use of filter socks (changed regularly) and either canisters or sand filter (depending on size of the set up) will be your best bet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store