Deworming Panaques

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
I recently got in a shipment of WC Plecos. All of them came in healthy looking, but my L027 "Xingu" is showing signs of IP. His belly is slightly sunken in despite heavy feedings and His poop is stringy. I don't have a QT tank due to space so all fish are in my display tank. Tank is a 225 with a 75g sump. Total water volume is 280g (+/-). I want to treat the whole tank just to be safe. Stocklist is as follows

1 flagtail 12"
7 threadfin acaras 4-6"
1 Super red sev 7"
Pair of "Red Hump" GEOS (2-3")
7 BA Tetras
12 Blackskirt Tetras
1 L177 4"
1 L128 3"
1 L027 Xingu 4"
2 L190 (4" & 7")
1 L330 7"
1 L191 9"

What would you recommend for my problem? Thanks,
Josh

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise

I have no idea. I don't have a lot of experience with this. I've only other treated 2 EBJDs that were more than likely fine and a L018 that was in such bad shape it died right after I started the treatment. I was hoping for something readily available, possibly local. Thanks for the advise.

mike_sema

Hail Hogs
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2008
HOT Water
You should be able to get away with using anything with Praziquantel as a whole tank treatment or as a bath depending on how you want to go about it, for pretty much all IP unless its a nematodes type IP like capallaria, camallanus which you will know as red stringy small worms will protrude from the fish. Praziquantel that is pure or powder form is very hard to mix and should be avoided if you can not get ahold of Hikari PraziPro. Also something like Paracide-D should be considered if camallanus is suspected.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Thanks mike. I think I'm gonna start with prazipro. I have very little experience with this. It seems easy enough. 1,question though. I treat total volume, then a 25% WC on day 2 (I think) and treat the volume of new water. Then after the week do a big WC right? If I am doing 2 rounds of treatment how long should I wait between?

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Ordered two 4oz bottles of prazipro. They should be here tomorrow. This will give me more than enough to treat the tank twice. Tank has over 3000gph so aeration won't be an issue. Anything Else to look out for?

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Dose into your pump inlet is my only suggestion.
My routine that has worked well is:
Large water change and dose PraziPro, on day 4-5 another large water change, dose again and let sit for 5-7 days.
I also ease up on the meat based foods and plop in some sweet potato and zuccini, figuring the extra fiber won't hurt.

None of my plecs, loaches, snails, or rope fish have batted an eye at being treated, and all will readily feed after being dosed.

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
If ya can pour it as close as possible to the return intake that'd be best. Though they managed to make prazi that's usable in water, it's not perfect. Getting it into an area of high agitation and flow rate is a good idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store