A ~19,000 Gallon Aquarium

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertCBergman

Feeder Fish
Jun 26, 2014
usa
Hello everyone,

I've started this somewhere else and just found about Reef Central so I thought I'll post here as well. I'll try to get you up to speed on where the tank is right now with a bit of history and images

A little bit of context: We live next to a waterfront and currently have a small fish farm (~40,000 gallons) and wanted to expand on that. So we decided to build an aquarium next to that facing our houses (4 of them). There will be no filtration systems to speak of expect for live sand and live rock. The water circulation will be directly for the sea with a ~4,000 gallon refugium with live sand and live rock and some mangroves maybe? We successfully ran the fish farm with direct circulation from the sea without any problems until the side broke and we lost all the fish We are rebuilding the fish farm together with the refugium so hopefully it will last a lifetime this time around.

Enough with the chitchat. Here are some progress shots from the time we started building the aquarium, this will be on 3 posts:

Here are how the design of the aquarium evolved:

The dimensions of the aquarium.

Design of the columns that will hold the 3 pieces of glass.

This is the current plan we are working towards. A bridge connecting both sides of the aquarium and creating a seating area on top of the aquarium. This plays several roles:

1. Partially covering the water to protect from direct sunlight and heat. It gets really hot in summer here.
2. Connect the walkway around the garden.
3. Create an additional themed seating area.

The fish farm next to the aquarium

An overview of the aquarium, looking at it from my SOHO (more than 100 feet away, 1st floor).

Aquarium Dimensions.

Here is how it looked after the marine-grade concrete is done:

An overview of the aquarium. The area in the front will be a sitting area measuring 11m (36ft) x 5m (16.5ft).

This is the view of the front of the aquarium while sitting down.

continued in the next post..

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
This thread is an abomination. You cant talk about a 19000g aquarium on this site and forget to upload pics. I believe that falls under cruel and unusual punishment.

This thread is an abomination. You cant talk about a 19000g aquarium on this site and forget to upload pics. I believe that falls under cruel and unusual punishment.
Indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store