Behavioural change?

AbangLongDil

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2013
Singapore
Hi guys, I have a acarichthys cichlid kept with several larger goldfishes like ranchus and ryukins. Flame mr if im not doing the right thing, but Ive been keeping him for about 4 months and nothings happened since.

But then recently, he tends to chase after just one single ryukin in the tank and that ryukin goldfish seems to have some of his tailfin torn apart. Also, he is frequently clearing the substrate at the bottom making a large hole. What could be the explanation for this?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

AbangLongDil

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2013
Singapore
Oh and btw, this is the acarichthys cichlid that im talking about if you dont. The goldfish inside are all larger by 1.5times

uploadfromtaptalk1403791882196.jpg

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Its just doing what a cichlid does, proclaiming its territory and dominance.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
But will it prolong? Im afraid it might destroy the goldfish.

Most likely, yes. You can try putting in a lot of rocks and driftwood so the godlfish can hide and just be out of sight.

DaCobbs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
Idaho
Unfortunately cichlids don't do well with slow moving fish. They are easy prey. Like mentioned earlier hiding spaces may help. Best would be to give the cichlid his own tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Unfortunately allot of people put fish together that wont work long term together but claim it is working fine because its all about the fish's personality. I used to do this allot. The reason is seams to work is they were all juvenile. When the fish reach maturity is when the problems start. This situation won't get better. You either have to move him or you will have a dead gold fish.

AbangLongDil

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2013
Singapore
But arent acarichthys the more sociable and peaceful cichlids? Plus its already full grown now

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
But arent acarichthys the more sociable and peaceful cichlids? Plus its already full grown now

They are peaceful if you compare them to a dovii, but will still try to establish territory and dominance over what they feel are weaker fish. This is a major characteristic trait of being classified as cichlid

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store