anyone keep vampire shrimp?

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Thinking of getting one for my 57 planted tank. Ive had bamboo shrimp before and used to love watching them filter, pretty sure I want to try one of these beastly creatures. Couple questions though. Do they tend to climb out? And will they climb wood to sit in an area of flow? They look built for sitting on the bottom but all the strong flow in my tank is near the surface.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Nobody? Thought these might be one of the more "monster" inverts. They look pretty evil but seem about as harmless as can be

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I have one, he just stays on the bottom, sometimes meanders about; rarely goes into the plants to sift for food. Never seen him at the top.

They will however seek out the best spot to filter feed, so if that's up high and there's a perch, they'll probably try it.

They're also very docile, the only aggression they show is by using their claw points (vampire) to "elbow" fish that brush against them, but even this doesn't do anything. Would highly recommend, as long as u don't have predators in the 57

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Awesome thanks for the info. Im guessing because of their bulky build they wouldnt climb a small manzanita branch to sit in the filter outflow, there is good flow on the bottom but not the strongest. Ill have to keep my eyes open for one

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I meant to grab you a couple of pics the other day, hold on and I'll get some. They change colour too btw, based on factors I don't understand lol. Mine is pretty drab just now but when I bought him he was bright blue

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Thanks for the info, ive seen some blue ones and some brownish ones and wasnt sure if they were different variety or what. Id love to see pics of yours and the tank its in. Have you had it long?

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Thanks for the info, ive seen some blue ones and some brownish ones and wasnt sure if they were different variety or what. Id love to see pics of yours and the tank its in. Have you had it long?
Had mine for about 6-7 months, originally was in my 57 gal, but my cichlids were too risky so I gave him to my dad for his 15 gallon till he grows out. Currently about 2 inches, growing a bit slower in this tank but seems happy enough. I chucked in a load of plants couple of days ago so its a nightmare catching him on camera but I will keep at it lol.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Better late than never! Some phone snaps of my vampire shrimp :)

uploadfromtaptalk1405032514803.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1405032525228.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1405032536229.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store