Gas bubble disease?

catfishguy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
moon
I have a clown knife who developed strange bumps on his face and gills I researched for months without finding any thing but then I heard of a rare aquatic ailment called gas bubble disease it's the fish equivalent of the bends and is caused by over oxidation. If you use water that isn't ruffly the same temperature this can happen apparently this happens alot to arrowana and knife fish. To combat gas bubble disease make sure there aren't any air leaks in your canister filters. I hope this helps!

Trap Music

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2014
United States
I may have the same problem with my CK, his own eye is much larger than the other. I do have an airstone in there. I have been treating him for popeye but his eye is defiantly not getting better. Would you reccomend me turning off the airstone?

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
if one eye is bigger than the other its most likely pop eye. Ethromycin (spelling) can work well but you may be warned if you use this type of med in your main tank it will kill off any beneficial bacteria you have built up . A hospital tank is recommended.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In winter where I live, water is always super saturated with gases, it comes out of the tap in the mid to high 30sF from the tap, even in summer it is more gas saturated than normal tank water. This easily causes gas bubble embolism in warm water fish.
If when you draw a glass of water, and it clears from the bottom up, it is saturated.
Because of this, I never add water directly to the tank during water changes, but instead to the sump, this way it has time and the agitation thru the pump tends to degas it.
If you don't have a sump putting an airstone under the flow of new water to the tank, or cascading it onto a rock can hasten the degassing process.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Pics?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store