Stingray tankmates

catfishguy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
moon
I have a 150 gallon tank with large tropical catfish and a few koi will stingrays sting any of my fish and is it true they drop there stingers once in a while? And are there any stingrays without stingers.:stingray:

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
All stingrays have stingers they shed every so often (maybe 4-6months) and they rarely sting other fish but it does happen. 150g isnt big enough for really any rays for life and they need very good water quality to thrive which can be difficult with big messy fish like koi and big catfish

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
150 gallon isn't big enough for koi or stingrays. Stingrays are called stingrays because they have stingers so you won't find one without a stinger. Koi and stingrays have totally different water requirement so they aren't good tank mates.

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
I would also imagine you're going to have problems since the goldfish are cold water fish

catfishguy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
moon
They are just feeder goldfish I won at the fair to cycle my tank and they lived. I think the common goldfish can survive a range of temperatures.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Koi then goldfish and now feeder goldfish? I guess if they where free feeder goldfish then no need to worry if anything stings or eats them as stingrays could and would but most likely will just eat them.

catfishguy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
moon
They are common feeder goldfish like the ones at walmart. And just because they were free doesn't mean I don't want to take good care of them.plus one of them is about 15 inches so not going to be eaten.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store