Draining tank with gravel vacuum without a python/aqueon?

swifty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2013
California
I'm trying to find ways to make my w/c easier. Filling isn't an issue right now, as I just toss prime in and gradually fill it up with 3 gallon buckets from the bath tub faucet (strongest faucet in my house).

I like the ease of draining tanks with those systems, but don't like the idea of draining them down my sink drain. Not only that, as I mentioned before the bath tub faucet has the best flow and is easier to control the temperature (old sinks everywhere else, really slow flow).

I'd much rather drain them outside or in the toilet. Is there some sort of extension or attachment I can use for my current gravel vacuum so it can reach? I read a few ppl starting their gravel vacs then shoving the end hose into a garden hose, but what sort of attachment would I need so water doesn't spill all over? I also read about just buying a 20+ foot clear tubing at a hardware store and replacing that with the regular gravel vac hose, but I'd have to find the measurements on it to fit.

swifty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2013
California
I found some clear vinyl tubing on amazon and at home depot's site, but there are a bunch of different measurements.

How would I go about measuring to figure out what size I need? Inner diameter or outer circumference?

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
Measure using the inner diameter so u can connect it to the male adapter on the siphon tube. I used to attach a long clear hose to the end of my gravel vac and ran it into the toilet. The hose actually came from a spare gravel vac that was slightly wider than the other vac's hose. Now I use a python but it takes 3 hours to drain and fill my 240 so I'm thinking about setting up a drip system or at least getting a cheap water pump to drain it

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
I use the clear hose from hardware store to gravity drain out my door/window.
For refilling you should invest in a storage barrel. I got a 55gal food grade drum off Craigs List for $20. Fill the barrel the night before, heat the water to temp & use a water pump to pump it into the tank. WCs take less than 30mins.

Wenzo0o0o0oo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2010
usa
I use the clear hose from hardware store to gravity drain out my door/window.
For refilling you should invest in a storage barrel. I got a 55gal food grade drum off Craigs List for $20. Fill the barrel the night before, heat the water to temp & use a water pump to pump it into the tank. WCs take less than 30mins.
Haha that's what I do also , but I don't leave over night , I have hot water and cold

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Wenzo0o0o0oo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2010
usa
I have a twenty gallon barrier , and a mega pump , to fill the tanks I can fill an 125g in less then 20mins , I leave the waters on and the pump does it's job , just make sure your container doesn't run dry or overflow on your floor,, adjust the flow

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I'm trying to find ways to make my w/c easier. Filling isn't an issue right now, as I just toss prime in and gradually fill it up with 3 gallon buckets from the bath tub faucet (strongest faucet in my house).

I like the ease of draining tanks with those systems, but don't like the idea of draining them down my sink drain. Not only that, as I mentioned before the bath tub faucet has the best flow and is easier to control the temperature (old sinks everywhere else, really slow flow).

I'd much rather drain them outside or in the toilet. Is there some sort of extension or attachment I can use for my current gravel vacuum so it can reach? I read a few ppl starting their gravel vacs then shoving the end hose into a garden hose, but what sort of attachment would I need so water doesn't spill all over? I also read about just buying a 20+ foot clear tubing at a hardware store and replacing that with the regular gravel vac hose, but I'd have to find the measurements on it to fit.
Buy a small hose from home depot it can connect to your python and use gravity to drain into the toilet..

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store