Box swap

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Our local club MAS had a box swap with CCA last week.
Although not exclusively cichlids, that's what I sent (a bag of young Herichthys carpintus chairel, and 2 bags of Geophagus iporangensis)

And I ended up with a bag of Astatheros longimanus "lake Nicaragua, a bag of Archocentrus panamensus and a bag pf Stomatepia pindu.
Nice way to spread fish around, and get fish not available in another area.
Some pics of what I received, but because I tossed them all together in a 50 gal to grow out, not exactly sure who's who at this point.

The pindu below are easy to distinguish.

also got some Cichlasoma dimerus from one of our members

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
That's awesome, Duane!

The box swap was a lot of fun and I hope brought some new stuff to your club. It certainly did for ours.

The pindu are from me :) and the longimanus are from Jon Clark...

I picked up a bag of your Geos...

Best wishes,
Matt

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Had longimanus 50 years ago ... loved that fish. Haven't been able to connect with them since. Sounds like a super box swap (jealous :()

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I knew the pindu were your's and the longimanus Jon's, don't know who the panamense came from. Glad you got some iporangensus.
They spawn at a very small size, the parents are just barely 3".

I saw the parents of the pair I have, yesterday, they are about 7" and are stunning.

jonclark96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
Frederick MD
Glad you picked up the longimanus. They were one of those fish that I wanted to keep for a long time and never saw, so when Jeff Rapps collected them in the spring of 2013, I jumped on them. I started with a group of 4 (which actually turned out to be 2 males and 2 females). They started spawning 55about a year after I got them, the male is around 5" and the female half that size. After the first couple of spawns, the pair became very protective and thrashed the other 2 longimanus in the tank. I was also keeping a pair of multispinosis with them, but they were starting to get harassed so I moved them out of the tank before they were killed. My pair is now working on probably their 10th spawn (they spawn about every three weeks). I had a school of lemon tetras in with them that was keeping the fry population down, but they perished over the past few days.

Good luck with them, I'm sure you will have success breeding them in due time. I was eyeing the geos that you sent, but just didn't have the tank space to grow them out. I'm hoping that I can snag a few from Matt once they start to pair off.

Thanks again to you and the other MAS members who participated in the box swap, especially Andy Hudson for coordinating. I think the CCA folks were stoked to get some new fish in the area and were also happy to pass along their spawns to other parts of the country.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Looking good, Duane! Just stripped about 15 babies from one of my pindu a couple of days ago!

Unfortunately, I added the little Geos that I got to a group of other fry a bit too soon. I know where to get more :)

Matt

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
The names are all foreign to me except for carpintus and panamensis. I just finished searching them in the web to figure out what they are. This is what fish clubs should do, sharing of species. I currently own a breeding pair of panmensis, the most colorful cyrptoheros species IMO. How are the fish distributed? Will they be offered in auction or club meetings?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store