How long can open span be?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I'm planning a 540 Ga. Custom cabinetry around it. The cabinet guy is very experienced, old world craftsman. He says it'd be better for him to build the support/stand, and I'm fine with that. I want a 6 foot tank as a sump under the 540. I want to be able to get it out w/o tearing out the cabinets if the need ever arises. After a couple weeks thinking about it, he says he can build a 75 inch span and bi-fold doors to allow me to pull the sump out. Gonna use 6x6's, brace it so it never moves laterally, he knows what it'll weigh when full--he's saying all the right things...,but 75 inches of air under an 8 foot tank with 2.5 TONS of water....what says the hive?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Probably can be done but Simply Install a removable post to help support the weight if you want to be sure. It's like anything though. A 2x4 allows this much span. A 4x4 allows more. Keep going up or using steel and you can do any span you want with the right materials. And all the supporting structure adds onto that as well depending how it's built.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
As said before it just depends on how it's constructed. Long story short, remodel was forced at my mothers house a few years ago. Cheaper to vault the ceiling on the repair side. We supported the weight of that roof on 2 laminated 2x12's as a header between cinderblock exterior walls. That span is 16 feet.

3 2x6's glued and screwed together will be a lot stronger than 1 6x6.
Not the best way to laminate in my opinion. Put 1/2" plywood inbetween and use 3 1/2 inch long (I think 8 guage or bigger?) screws in a 2 1 2 pattern ( and a 1 2 1 on the opposing side) with an impact drill. I would trust that method with 2 2x6's than 3 2x6's glued and screwed. The glue typically expands or contracts, creating bulges or gaps or both.

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
you can make big spans. depends on construction and material. honestly i would probably start to consider metal supports for the spans instead of wood. But that is just me. The reason why is you must consider flex as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store