I wanna upgrade my sump/filtration as a side project...

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I don't have much room behind my tank. I feel like my 90 gallon sump is not being used to full potential. I may be able to fit a reactor in but I'm a bit clueless how to rig one up with my setup. Current sump had 1.5 inch drains flowing into lids, through a single layer of small sponges, over a full chamber of bio balls (half of which are submerged, half not, hence why I think it's a bit useless) up until the last 3ish bottom inches where they are stopped by an egg crate. The tiny partition at the very bottom i usually stuff socks of carbon or phosphate remover or ammo chips. Goes to 2/3 of the sump which is pure empty space, where I run an fx5 and 2 mag 1800, one just straight back into the tank (which I wanna make use of) and one that runs through a 65 watt uv sterilizer. I feel like I can make better use of the space in my sump, or help pump my filtration in some way. Right now I get fairly high nitrates, though they're pretty high out of the tap so they're used to it. Anyone got any suggestions?

uploadfromtaptalk1403834266819.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1403834285993.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1403834298601.jpg

I'm not the most do it yourself guy but I'm also not incapable either. Details would be appreciated.

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Seachem matrix or pond matrix in a laundry bag. It has worked wonders for me before and easy to add bio that works well submerged

professor_rob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Growing pothos can help with nitrates. There are many threads here about it, with people's methods and success. I personably have had good results from it. Though it is now redundant since my auto water changer, I still have some growing in my weir. Though having nitrates in your water source is a drawback for you pothos could help.

You said you have a bit of room so should be able to do it. A bit hard to tell from the pics.

You will need a light/lamp though. A cheap one will suffice.

Good luck with the changes. Post some more pics of your sump to give a better idea.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store