Rainwater

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
I was always told that wasn't a good idea.
But I live in the city, and maybe pollution has something to do with it.
Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I mix rain water with tap for some water changes.
I have 2 rain barrels connected, the 1st is to let anything from the roof settle out (bird feces, roof grit, etc), the 2nd is where I take the water from.
Also use the barrel to soak tannins from wood.

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
interesting. I figured they would do well since they typically do well in summer ponds

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
I think I will try it since water is expensive here . I like to reuse my fish water also for my grass and gardens

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
I've often thought and wanted to do plans with this. What I came up with is
A. You must filter the water it's got junk in it, crap from your roof, dirt, other bad stuff you must get out
B. Should look into maybe a sterilizer to kill any possible "bugs" in the water
C. Rain water can be acidic and is kinda like distilled water so you'd have to add / remove stuff to make it so it better matches the ph and hardness

That being said my plan was maybe a 100 - 150 gallon rain water catch system so id also have a spare tank say 50-75 gallon in my basement when I fill my outside rain water I'd pump x gallons through a filter into my basement holding tank where I'd up the temp, add salt, and adjust ph my only problem is finding a way to adjust ph I was thinking crushed coral but don't know how quick I could up the ph

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
I mix rain water with tap for some water changes.
I have 2 rain barrels connected, the 1st is to let anything from the roof settle out (bird feces, roof grit, etc), the 2nd is where I take the water from.
Also use the barrel to soak tannins from wood.

You use this on your fish or just plants?
Plants wouldn't be a big deal, but I've got thousands $ in rays. That's a big gamble. Imo

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store