Green terror X Red terror

ccp2007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
united states
I have a female Festae and the hubby just bought himself a green terror. The guy at the LFS said the green terror was male.I have heard that if they try to breed one of them will die...is this true? I am wanting to house them together and would prefer for them not to breed (especially if it means one will die) but what are the chances that they'll make good tank mates? Anyone have any experience keeping them together?

I don't mind if they breed, I just don't want to lose either of them.

Right now the gt is with a JD and 2 peacocks in a 75. When my EBJD's become big enough I am wanting to put the gt with my Rt in the 55 and the EBJD in the 75 with the JD and peacock.

Both tanks have SEVERAL hiding places and they are both running with more than enough filtration. So, I'm not asking about anything except survival of my fish with proper tank mates.

I also have a 30 with jewels.

Suggestions are much appreciated. TIA

Happily married Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 15 gilled babies

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
A red terror needs more than a 55 even for a female, male Gt can be kept in a 55 by themselves not with others a 75 is preferable to house them with tankmates. I think what the people where saying is the fact that many cichlids will kill their mates but the likely hood of a Gt pairing with a red terror is highly unlikely, Gt can't mate with anything outside the acara family to my knowledge. Red terrors are aggressive fish and Gt really aren't I wouldn't house them together in anything less than a 6 foot tank, my males and females in the past where quite aggressive and that was in a 125

Sent from my VS840 4G

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
A red terror needs more than a 55 even for a female, male Gt can be kept in a 55 by themselves not with others a 75 is preferable to house them with tankmates. I think what the people where saying is the fact that many cichlids will kill their mates but the likely hood of a Gt pairing with a red terror is highly unlikely, Gt can't mate with anything outside the acara family to my knowledge. Red terrors are aggressive fish and Gt really aren't I wouldn't house them together in anything less than a 6 foot tank, my males and females in the past where quite aggressive and that was in a 125

Sent from my VS840 4G
+1 to all of this. My GT was very passive.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
There is one reported case of GT and Convict hybridridization. If it is true, hybridization outside the acara genus is possible for GT.
I don't think that is possible. They must have been mistaken.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store