Senegal has started eating tank mates.

Jnfergu2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2014
Huntington, Indiana
Well I knew it was gonna happen eventually but I thought it would be a bit longer. Lasy night I came home to see my Senegal with one of the cory cats I got to help with some algae in his mouth. He could barely fit the head of the cory in his mouth but he had a death grip. My girlfriend told me to stop him and I laughed and asked"How?" She told me to bop him on the head... of course told her she was crazy and I was not gonna bop my fish for doing what was natural for him.
Now I have to figure out a different way of controlling the algae... hopefully the new fast growing plants I got will out compete the algae.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Never heard of a cory eating algae, but not much will that will survive with your sen. Be careful he doesnt choke or he could die if the cory gets stuck

Jnfergu2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2014
Huntington, Indiana
I read on this forum several times to get cory cats instead of plecos for a bichir tank as the plecos tend to start scraping the bichirs slime coat off. So I got my ifo from here on them eating algea.
As for the fact that predators eat what will fit in their mouths I should have been more descriptive. He could only fit the cories mouth in his. The senegal just lost his external lungs and is only about 5 in with minimal girth.
As for choking I had to pull the cories head (minus the face that the senegal death rolled off) out of the tank. The rest he death rolled off.
Makes me a bit nervous as I have a ropefish that has a head smaller than that of the cories...

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Actually I've heard that plecos if kept well feed actually tend to be fine with bichirs. It's when they become hungry that they start to look for other things to prey on. As for cories I would honestly stay away from them like James said because of a polys swallows one wrong and it goes down at a weird angle you could have all sorts of problems. You could also just get an algae scraper

water_keeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2014
ME
Cories can cause bad news for fish that eat them due to their fins and shouldn't be mixed with fish that might look at them as food. Also, many plecos will do very little to nothing about algae except produce waste to spur more algae growth. If your tank isn't planted, I find it hard to imagine a scenario where algae is so bad to warrant biological control.

dbcb314

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Tallahassee
I read on this forum several times to get cory cats instead of plecos for a bichir tank as the plecos tend to start scraping the bichirs slime coat off. So I got my ifo from here on them eating algea.
As for the fact that predators eat what will fit in their mouths I should have been more descriptive. He could only fit the cories mouth in his. The senegal just lost his external lungs and is only about 5 in with minimal girth.
As for choking I had to pull the cories head (minus the face that the senegal death rolled off) out of the tank. The rest he death rolled off.
Makes me a bit nervous as I have a ropefish that has a head smaller than that of the cories...

I would love to see one post where someone said Cories wer ea good tank mate...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store