Fish keeping while pregnant ?

Amber n The Boss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
Toledo, Ohio
Just found out I am newly pregnant and not sure if it's safe for me to personally clean the fish tank anymore, does anyone know?
My OB suggests that I stop but only bc there us not any information on keeping tanks on a large scale. If I have to ask my husband to help it would be the end of the world.
If not safe does anyone know an estimate price to expect if I hire a professional LFS to come and do the weekly changes and cleaning?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
First congrats !
I know changing cat litter is a no no for pregnant women I've never heard about cleaning fish tanks, my wife just had baby number 3 and it was never mentioned but I guess it'd depend what size tank, what type (salt fresh) and what fish are in there only thing off top of my head I can think of is maybe some chemicals? Or leaning into big tanks. Are you talking water changes or redecorating.

Tell hubby to man up and get involved maybe he will grow to love it lol just kidding my wife would drill holes in my 220 if she had to do anything to it

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
I cleaned my tank while i was pregnant. It didn't do me any harm if anything it helped with me not blowing up like a balloon. The filter however i did wear rubber gloves . Just use a scrubbie on a stick to clean the algae off or a magnet works well.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I would also try to avoid it but if you must... wear gloves and always wash your hands and arms afterwards.

Amber n The Boss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
Toledo, Ohio
I wouldn't want my girl cleaning the tanks if she was pregnant. Particularly siphoning, especially if you prime it with your mouth. Yikes.

Yuck do people actually do that, prime with their mouths? I don't and wouldn't. I have a Python so the water pressure does that for me. I wish my husband liked big tanks n big fish but he doesn't and I've always been on my own with this. He just doesn't complain about the money I spend on it...lol

castro1212

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2012
metairie louisiana
Yuck do people actually do that, prime with their mouths? I don't and wouldn't. I have a Python so the water pressure does that for me. I wish my husband liked big tanks n big fish but he doesn't and I've always been on my own with this. He just doesn't complain about the money I spend on it...lol

I used to prime with my mouth I just got my first python.

Nighttouch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2010
IL
We actually asked my wife's OBGYN about this recently (my newest boy is just now 4 months old) and he said there's nothing related to the fish, water, etc to worry about.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store