Unipac Senagal Sand Substrate in the US?

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Looking for a source in the US for this sand, its sold in the UK. I was wondering if anyone has seen this or something similar here in the US. Any help suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks!

uploadfromtaptalk1403906393517.jpg

Here's the company site: http://www.unipacpet.co.uk/aquatic/aquarium-sand/

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
no idea.
here's the filter sand I just bought-
DSCN6035.JPG

not quite as dark as your photo, but quite a bit darker than the other filter sands I've seen.

DSCN6031.JPG

the sand actually comes from vermont.
smooth grains too. the other filter sands I've looked at were quite jagged, not something I'd want bottom diggers in.

DSCN6035.JPG

DSCN6031.JPG

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Thank you. That looks pretty close. This is for a 125g with Madagascar cichlids and they're all serious diggers/sifters. I'm concerned about coarseness as well. I've been using supernaturals sunset gold in their existing tanks, but definitely want something darker than what I have now.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
I hear you. I've got my first white sand tank running for about 3 months now, and I'm already tired of it.

here's a close up of the smoothness. the rounded edges are because this is a mined sand, not a made sand.
DSCN6039.JPG

I don't know if it's going to be much darker though. I did a google image search of the sunset gold and they look pretty close. I was surprised that this looks as dark as it does, the grains mostly look really light.
if I lived in NJ, I'd be looking into ceramaquartz or permacolorquartz. I've got the S grade black colorquartz and I love it. if they still made it I'd be using it instead of the sand. the ceramaquartz is the same stuff, different manufacturer.
and no distibutors anywhere close.
the permacolor has all the colors that colorquartz used to have, but the ceramaquartz is supposed to be the colorquartz duplicate...
I haven't really researched these, because it's 50$ shipping, but they have two distributors in NJ.

DSCN6039.JPG

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Thx. I'll check it out. I'm in north jersey so it should be easy enough. The pic you posted does look like sunset gold, which I think will be too light. I'm waiting for delivery on my DBN 3D Bulu Point brown. With Sunset gold/bulu point the BG will be much darker than the substrate. My Paretroplus Maculatus look great with the sunset gold in their current setup, since they've colored up. But my young Paretroplus Menarambo, in another tank with SG, look washed out as they're still around 2.5 inches. All you see is pinstripes. The rest of my Malagasies are very dark, so a too light substrate will influence their color as well.

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
So, the company is in Fairfield, about 20 minutes away. I'm going to call and hopefully I'll be able visit to see the product colors in person. Wow, there's a lot of colors. I've read its tough to clean. Any thoughts?

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
I don't see how it would be any more difficult than sand. it seems to be heavier than equivalent sized sand. I've only cleaned it a few times, lots of snails and bottom dwellers in a heavily planted tank keeps it pretty clear. they're all small fish, so everything gets stirred up and into the filter. just a gravel vac hose a little above the surface is what I do.

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Quick update, I spoke with their business office here in NJ. They're sending me free samples of 4 standard blends and 4 individual colors in different mesh sizes. The minimum order for blends is usually 8 bags, but will send 3 via ups since he's interested in the project. For three 50lb blended bags, its approx $150 with shipping from Illinois. The products aren't made in NJ, their manufacturer is out of state. In the past I've paid $20+ for a 20lb bag of sunset gold. So that's not unreasonable.

I spoke with him about aquarium use and folks that have used their products in tanks. He's interested in pics and progress updates. Since there's a distributor in NJ, I can pick up standard colors and save on shipping. Size is 50lbs for $20 standard color. And 50lbs for $23 standard blend. He will also give blend color mixture ratios and I can blend them myself.

Thank you soooo much for the info. I think its great to be able to customize sand colors to better replicate natural environments!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store