Morays- difference between Gymnothorax and Muraena genus

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
As strange as it may seem, there is very little info netwise on this two genus of Moray Eels.

Some say there really is no discernible separation, some say the difference lies ( solely ) in the nasal tubes ( anterior or posterior ), some say in the number of vertebrae, but, all in all, and skipping mytochondrial and genetic differences which i cannot really get into due to my lack of biology basics, from a practical point of view, is there any difference, and, if so, what?

I am waiting for delivery of several eels, Muraena and Gymnothorax, from the Azores, and would like to grasp the distinction, if any...

Thank You

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
I don't have an answer, but as a moray enthusiast, I'm curious as to what species you're getting. Aren't Enchelycore anatina found in that area?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Yes they are.

I am getting Muraena Helena, M. augusti and gymno Unicolor.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I think, comparing species of both genus in front of me, that I have it ( empirically ) nailed down to the fact that Muraena hava four "nostril tubes", 2 pointed to the front, 2 more to the back of the snout, and Gymo have only one set, to the front of the snout)

There must be many other diferences, but this is all I can seem with the limited set of animals from both genus in my posession....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store