Clear water

Jacolby

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2013
Louisiana
What can you put in a sump to help keep water clear? I have a 250g aquarium with a 125g sump. Just curious what I can put in it.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Filter socks with smaller micron rating and or poret foam will help remove particles. Carbon can be added if your water looks stained or cloudy.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
The human eye can see down to 40 microns, so if you can actually see free floating particles, then those are fairly large and can be cleared with something a little larger than that, say 100 microns as a filter. (It will clog and trap smaller particles over time.) If you can't see the particles, but it "appears" hazy, then the particles could be quite small. Smoke for example can be as small as 1 micron or less but we can see it.

I would also consider a UV filter if you think it could be free floating algae. Otherwise, you need to plan on finer filter sizes than 100 microns. Those are obtainable in smaller sizes, e.g, 25 or 50 microns. As they are used much smaller particles will get trapped between cleanings.

Catfish Whisperer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2014
Logan, IA
The best pump/filter is a heavy duty filter from the brand Whisper . They have good quality filters and pumps . My whole native fish tank setup is by Whisper . It keeps the water well oxygenated and crystal clear .

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
The best pump/filter is a heavy duty filter from the brand Whisper . They have good quality filters and pumps . My whole native fish tank setup is by Whisper . It keeps the water well oxygenated and crystal clear .
No experience with whisper, but talking about the best filtration will certainly open a can o worms around here.

Catfish Whisperer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2014
Logan, IA
But , filters help keep water clean , but you would still have to change the filter and water every now and then . Plecos help get rid of algae , which also helps the tank look presentable ...

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
The above said and plants. Even floating plants. I find a considerable difference in water clarity in tanks i have plants.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
But , filters help keep water clean , but you would still have to change the filter and water every now and then . Plecos help get rid of algae , which also helps the tank look presentable ...
Plecos will create more waste than they make up for in cleaning algae. Only keep plecos if you want a messy fish, which I do since I'm used to keeping dirtier cats.

Add tons of java moss, it's a complete ammonia sponge IME.

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
I prefer siphoning out pleco crap then scrubbing the glass :D

I like to have a mixture of poret foam, I find very few particles in the water column and I don't have to change / wash any components very often, after big feeds it can take some time to clear though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store