planning 40 gallon for a senegal

cheezgr8r

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2014
your mom
still in the planning stages. right now my stocking idea is 1 Senegal, 4 dwarf neon rainbows, 6or so tiger barbs. the tank will be planted and filtration will likely be a 306 fluval. my main concern is the Senegal eating tankmates. im hoping roughly 3in fish will be too big to eat. I plan on buying the Senegal small. I haven't really nailed down plants yet. I have a 2bulb t5ho. what plants do you guys keep with your bichirs. Im new around here, so forgive me If I posted this In the wrong spot :D

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Everything will eventually get eaten, the tiger barbs have a better chance of getting away but still might get eaten. I would suggest going through some of the tankmate threads and picking some of the smaller tankmates in those threads to be in the 40. Also is the tank a 40B? Or a 40 with different dimensions?

cheezgr8r

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2014
your mom
I think its a 40 breeder 36x16x17. that's kind of a bummer about the barbs, I was hoping to have some schooling fish in there

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
If u can get a larger tank then u'll have better luck. I keep some small tetras with larger polys and have been doing well. No predation on smaller fish. Luck may have to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1404049293.862701.jpg

cheezgr8r

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2014
your mom
im supposed to be moving in the next year, so the minute I get more space ill have a bigger tank lol. I used to have a5ft tank, but had to take it down. it was caving in the floor at my old house.

cheezgr8r

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2014
your mom
so now im looking at 5or6 congo tetras, 2 pearl gouramies wth the Senegal. maybe another gourami or two depending on how things play out and how It looks. appreciate the feedback guys.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store