EBJD and BN pleco with Ich

ccp2007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
united states
I picked up 3 EBJD last week and 3 tiny BN plecos. All was fine until my hubby did a wc. The morning after I saw that they were all covered in Ich. I'm assuming temp change during wc caused it?

I raised temp and added aquarium salt slowly. (tsp every 3+ hours). I know EBJD are very sensitive and plecos are too. I have saved a knife fish and clown loach from Ich using salt and increased temp and in the past and those are VERY sensitive due to being scaless.

This is my first time owning EBJD. Did I do the correct thing by adding salt and increasing the temp? Is there something else I should do? I have increased oxygen and I'm about to do a gravel vac/water change. Wait it out with methods I'm using or do something different?

Happily married Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 15 gilled babies

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Hubby I think is off the hook. Temp changes do not cause ich although they may accelerate its appearance. Something (fish or plants) that was added recently came with ich. Presumably, at least one of the fish you added last week came with ich (perhaps all?), although it's possible that there were only ich parasites in the water they came in.

The point is, regardless, fish can't go from no ich to all covered with ich over night unless there were parasites already in the water (not on the fish) developing in the tank at the same time. The parasite's life cycle just isn't that fast so what appears to be a 24 hour infection is simply a 72-96 hour infection that just became visible.

Your methods worked before and you seem like you have the drill down pat. Gravel vac, temps, salt, aeration. As far as EBJD, they should handle the temp as well as most. I can't imagine that they are unusually sensitive to salt, but I haven't owned one.

Smithmode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
Washington
If it doesn't work....which it should, I have used a liquid med called "rid-ICH" In the past and it worked fast.

Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store