Silver Arro fin problem

danny272

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
USA
Hey everyone I need help my silvers fins are very damaged and not sure why. I don't know how to fix this problem either. He currently is about 8 in. long in a 125 gallon tank with one pleco and one pictus cat. I change water about once a week and water temp is 82 don't have water parameters yet due to just changing it. I have one Rena xp3 filter and an xp4 on the tank. Has an air bubbler and one power head to increase top water movement. Any and all help would be appreciated I have also attached pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1403974800.095849.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1403974812.288548.jpg

Catfish Whisperer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2014
Logan, IA
Do you put any chemicals in the water ? Some chemicals that are suposed to keep the water clean can harm fish . If you have well water , use it ! It's the best water , you don't need to add anything in it . The less chemicals you use in water ( like water conditioner ) the better , I don't use any conditioner . My fish look really good . There is a fish food that some companies make that can bring out colors in fish and gives them the nutrients to heal themselves . But the fish would have to be pellet trained and/or trained to eat flake food .

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Cant really tell from pics but it could be fin rot. Does the edge look frayed and a bit white?

danny272

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
USA
The only things I use in the water is prime when I change water and ammocarb chips in both canisters. When I first noticed it I was using melafix and nothing changed. The edges look frayed and are a red color . I wish he would stay still so I could get better pictures

Catfish Whisperer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2014
Logan, IA
The best thing I would use that won't harm the fish would be Aqua Safe by Tetra . It declorinates water . The main thing about it is it helps wounds , maybe you fish got in a fight with one of your other fish ?

danny272

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
USA
Ok well if it is fin rot how do I fix it ? I don't think the other 2 fish will mess with him the catfish stays at the bottom of the tank and the pleco usually hides.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm going to say finrot. My angelfish has been having a problem with a gram positive fungal infection that sort if looks like what your guy has but it tears more evenly than what your aro has.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store