New boa constrictor + vivarium build

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Picked up my new boa today and it's awesome! I went there expecting a little snake as they was advertised as hatchlings but when I got there it's a yearling and already about 2 foot! I still really liked it and it was a very good price so I got him anyway :)

it was quite a long journey because my girlfriends navigation skills suck and we got lost lol when I got home he had regurgitated, is this a really bad sign or just stress induced? He has hardly been handled so is very skittish but after he has settled in and fed properly at least once I will handle him most days

I managed to acquire an old wardrobe a few days ago and that is going to be his future viv, is acrylic or glass better for the sliding front?

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1403979368.066013.jpg
Really bad pic but I don't want to disturb him much ATM

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1403979415.633253.jpg
How I got it

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1403979505.084843.jpg
Removed shelf and pole as well as sawing off the bottom legs so it sits flush

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1403979609.799789.jpg
Screwed all around to strengthen

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Nice pickup, Boas are great! Reurgitation was probably stress, but I'd wait until someone really experienced offers their opinion:)

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
The regurgitating is from stress. I'm guessing they fed it the day before and the bumpy ride home definitely didn't help. Your cage idea looks pretty good but like with fish, the footprint of the floor is more important than height. But your setup is fine. I'm just saying for when it gets bigger. As for the front panel, definitely go glass. I made the mistake and put acrylic on mine and didn't realize that the high humidity and heat would cause the acrylic to start bowing making it harder to slide the front open or close

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
The regurgitating is from stress. I'm guessing they fed it the day before and the bumpy ride home definitely didn't help. Your cage idea looks pretty good but like with fish, the footprint of the floor is more important than height. But your setup is fine. I'm just saying for when it gets bigger. As for the front panel, definitely go glass. I made the mistake and put acrylic on mine and didn't realize that the high humidity and heat would cause the acrylic to start bowing making it harder to slide the front open or close

That's a relief, hopefully that's the problem and not an illness, it's going to be laying down so it 6x2 footprint, hopefully that should keep him going for at least a year or 2 lol ok thanks I was leaning towards glass anyway incase the acrylic flexed and popped out

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store