Datnoid Dither for 100g

knlprez

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2012
Colorado
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a decent dither from Asia for my IDs and Clown Loaches. I am trying some plants in this tank, so I want something which won't decimate the vegetation. I really want some Dension Barbs and found them locally, but they are all in the 2" range, and a test with similar sized minnows proved that's too small for the Dats. I love the look of Tinfoils, but they grow too quickly for the 100, and I won't be upgrading until we buy a home, probably in a year or so. Giant Danios were vetoed by the boss. I am thinking some larger Tiger Barbs for now, not sure how long until the big dats realize they are food, but we will see. I have the old 55g I could grow something out in, but I'd rather not have an additional tank set up. I travel a lot for work and the selling point on the bigger tank was less work maintaining the tanks while I am away.

I have 6 ranging in size from 3" - 6", they do not eat live, all on Carnivore pellets and some frozen a few times a week... actually, they hit almost anything which touches the water's surface... the big ones will even grab flake once in awhile, haha!

So, any suggestions? Not afraid to spend some money to get some cool schooling fish. Thanks!

A bit of background:

Stock:
6 Indo Dats 3" - 6"
7 Clown Loaches 3" - 6"
7 Corries in the sump until I find a new home

Planning on a Tire Track Eel. Had one a year ago and he found a hole in the hood... really cool fish, he ate pellets and worms from our hands and always came out when we were around.

I've just moved my Dats over to a newly setup 100 gallon (60"L x 18"W x 22"H). Has a 40 breeder sump with foam filters and bioballs, BA overflow, Mag 9.5 return, and an FX5 for closed loop. I wanted to create a river biotope without additional powerheads, hence all the filtration. There are calm areas of flow and hiding spots to keep the dats happy. The tank is set up with a continuous drip water change system with 3 stage chloramine filtration from The Filter Guys and is set at 1 gph while we monitor where the nitrates settle. The system can do up to 7 gph, so not too worried about water quality or stock levels, we can always increase the water changes. Moved over a lot of media from the 55g they were in following my move, no mini cycling issues.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for reading and any advice anyone can give!

knlprez

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2012
Colorado
Well... scratch the tiger barbs. Put 12 2.5" - 3" barbs with them, none were eaten, but once the lights were out the dats were striking at them. Pulled them out and going to return to the lfs. Any ideas?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store