Black Ghost Knifefish and Flourish Excel (help)

perok

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2012
pompano beach FL
I have been growing planted tanks for years with no CO2. In fact, I sort of pride myself on how great they look without having to spend money on the CO2 setup. I just use all the right nutrients etc, and Excel in place of Co2.

Recently I decided to crank up the aqua-foliage in a 120g deep tank, the main fish is a 3 year old 10" Black Ghost Knife. I had been using 15ml of Excel per day, I doubled it to 30ml because I had some black beard algea and had just introduced a bunch of new plants.

My Black Ghost Knife now appears to be sick and dying. For the past few days he has been floating veritically, still alive etc, etc...

Is there any history or correlation with Flourish Excel and fish like a Black Ghost.

(I am thinking maybe, because I had a heavily planted 36G that I was heavily planted and I used a lot of Excel that I could never keep an Elephant Nose alive in despite other fish doing quite well, and it being a relatively quiet tank)

Kaliedoscope

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2010
Oklahoma City Oklahoma USA
www.facebook.com
Although I don't know for sure, that sounds like a good guess. the very soft skin makes them sensitive to chemicals. But I would definitely check for stray voltage in the tank from your heaters pumps etc since that can be awful for them as well. A trick I like to use is if you ever accidentally cut your finger, stick it in the tank (once it's clean) I didn't realize I had a ton of voltage leaking in many of my tanks until I cut my cuticle. A multimeter can be used as well but I'm not sure how. I just know that most of the time , you can't feel leaking voltage with your finger unless it has a cut.

Ninjouzata

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
Georgia, USA
Perhaps try a water change and stop dosing and see how he does, to see if that is really the case? Or at least lowering the dosage to see if that helps?
I use flourish excel with mine and he has been fine, but I only do 12.5mL daily since my tank is only 129g. I hope he gets better :(

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I would some big water changes and stop the excell to see if that helps. This fish are very sensitive. I almost killed mine with salt. Also remember flourish excell is also an algaecide and can kill java fern, vals and some other so there is a fair chance it could be hurting the bgk.

aggressor09

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2007
Queens, NY
From what I gather, Flourish products, specifically Excel, are not even recommended for some plants. I had a bunch of Val Americana that melted down in a very bad way while dosing Excel just twice per week.

I'd recommend a large water change and eliminate using Excel on a trial period. Try adjusting your photoperiod if you want to stay low-tech.

Edit: Realized I just echoed everybody else. I agree with the above.

kody929

Candiru
MFK Member
May 16, 2013
Anywhere, Allthetime
I had stopped using flourish excel simply because i would forget to grab it etc and my plants in my 45G did good . I recently bought some and did a weekly 40% water change as usual along with 10ml of flourish trace a little salt some bacteria and prime. The difference is I added excel to its recommend dose and my flourish trace was at the bottom of the bottle. The next mourning all my small scaled fish were dead dwarf loaches, baby azul bass, Goldie pleco, Drawf petricola syno, 10 Furcata rainbow with other fish on the brink of death. My conclusion is either the copper in the Trace was concentrated at the bottom or the new addition of Excel caused the problems. My Lace plant has started to die since as well. Hope my lengthy story helps

appak

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2014
toronto
I once nuked an entire tank by accidentally overdosing excel. Still kicking myself. Make sure you have sufficient aeration, and then add a bunch more. To echo what has already been said, do some water changes and stop dosing to see if things improve.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store