Setting up a 340gal ray tank - need help stocking

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
Im building a 340gal (6'x4'x2') tank for rays. Wil start building the stand in a couple of weeks and ordering the glass in the beginning of august. Ideally i would build the tank 30-36" tall but it wont fit through the front door, or any door in my apartment for that matter if it's taller then 2'.
Tank will have 2x eheim 2262 for filtration.

Stocking:
Currently i have a 10" male motoro, and I will be ordering 3 more rays in the next couple of months, they will be kept where my motoro currently lives, in a 125g as a growout until the 340gal is finished.

Rays are expensive here in iceland so each and every purchase has to be well thought through. I have already contacted a few fishstores here in Reykjavik, and I have already got an answer on availability and prices from one store, take note that this particular store is the most expensive one when it comes to rays. The motoro I have Which I got from a different store was about $300, but I wont have the list of species available to order from the cheaper store and prices until next week.

Species available, disc sizes and prices.
Motoro 6" - $500
Reticulata 6" - $350
Castexi 10" - $800
Hystrix 6" - $350
Henlei 8" - $3.500

My plans for stocking is adding a female motoro for my male, and another pair of rays of a different species, What should i go with? Will i have problems with the rays hybridizing if they already have an ideal mate of the same species?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
Ideally i would build the tank 30-36" tall but it wont fit through the front door, or any door in my apartment for that matter if it's taller then 2'.
I'm a bit confused. 36" is 3'. I would presume an average person would be more than 3ft tall??? Stand normally is not attached to the tank so it won't count on the height?

Or are you saying the width of the door is 2ft max and you'll be turning the tank on it's 2ftside to fit it and get it in the house? - ive done this on my tank as the max the door will allow was 30 inches (without taking out the door panels). I didn't even measure the door when I got it and it's just faith that it can come inside the house on it leaner side.

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
Sounds like a great plan.

It will take time to cycle the tank unless you plan to use the current filteration on the new tank...either way add stock slowly and monitor the water parameters closely.

You have a large male Motoro, so I would be sure any females you introduce be grown out to 10" minimum.

As far as ray types I would lean toward Castexi or Henlei personally. They will most likely produce hybrids. If you want pure blood, go Motoro.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
I'm a bit confused. 36" is 3'. I would presume an average person would be more than 3ft tall??? Stand normally is not attached to the tank so it won't count on the height?

Or are you saying the width of the door is 2ft max and you'll be turning the tank on it's 2ftside to fit it and get it in the house? - ive done this on my tank as the max the door will allow was 30 inches (without taking out the door panels). I didn't even measure the door when I got it and it's just faith that it can come inside the house on it leaner side.
Yes, Im saying the width of the door is just over 2ft, so the tank cant be taller than 2ft, I will turn the tank to its 2ft side when carrying it into the house. I was saying that I would want the tank to be taller than 2ft, but the width of the door doesnt allow that. The only thing my girlfriend said about me adding a large tank is that I cant break down a wall, haha.

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
Sounds like a great plan.

It will take time to cycle the tank unless you plan to use the current filteration on the new tank...either way add stock slowly and monitor the water parameters closely.

You have a large male Motoro, so I would be sure any females you introduce be grown out to 10" minimum.

As far as ray types I would lean toward Castexi or Henlei personally. They will most likely produce hybrids. If you want pure blood, go Motoro.

Just my 2 cents.

The tank will cycle for a few weeks before any fish will be added to the tank, no worries. I keep a good track on my water paraments and will continue to do so.

I will grow out the female motoro to 10 or 12" before she will be introduced to the 340gal.

I would like to avoid hybridizing, but if it happens, theres no harm.
My question is, if I for an example would keep a pair of motoros and a pair of castexi in the tank, would the pairs hybridize, or will they stick to their own species?

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
My question is, if I for an example would keep a pair of motoros and a pair of castexi in the tank, would the pairs hybridize, or will they stick to their own species?
It completely depends on the ray from what I've learned. Some stick with their own speciest...others will go after anything that moves...kinda like high school prom. Lol

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Im building a 340gal (6'x4'x2') tank for rays. Wil start building the stand in a couple of weeks and ordering the glass in the beginning of august. Ideally i would build the tank 30-36" tall but it wont fit through the front door, or any door in my apartment for that matter if it's taller then 2'.
Tank will have 2x eheim 2262 for filtration.

Stocking:
Currently i have a 10" male motoro, and I will be ordering 3 more rays in the next couple of months, they will be kept where my motoro currently lives, in a 125g as a growout until the 340gal is finished.

Rays are expensive here in iceland so each and every purchase has to be well thought through. I have already contacted a few fishstores here in Reykjavik, and I have already got an answer on availability and prices from one store, take note that this particular store is the most expensive one when it comes to rays. The motoro I have Which I got from a different store was about $300, but I wont have the list of species available to order from the cheaper store and prices until next week.

Species available, disc sizes and prices.
Motoro 6" - $500
Reticulata 6" - $350
Castexi 10" - $800
Hystrix 6" - $350
Henlei 8" - $3.500

My plans for stocking is adding a female motoro for my male, and another pair of rays of a different species, What should i go with? Will i have problems with the rays hybridizing if they already have an ideal mate of the same species?

If you are building the tank why won't 30" talk glass fit throw the door is your door less than 30" tall you must need to bend down to get in the house lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
If you are building the tank why won't 30" talk glass fit throw the door is your door less than 30" tall you must need to bend down to get in the house lol
He would have to tear the tank apart to get it back out of the house (which isn't a horrible idea if you're not planning on moving for a while)

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
It completely depends on the ray from what I've learned. Some stick with their own speciest...others will go after anything that moves...kinda like high school prom. Lol

Hahah good one, but thanks for the answer, it's what I already thought.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
You're misunderstanding. The tank is 4' wide, doors are only 28" wide. But if I carry the tank with it's sides facing up and down, it can fit through, which means it can't be taller than 28" to fit through the door sideways.

He would have to tear the tank apart to get it back out of the house (which isn't a horrible idea if you're not planning on moving for a while)
I want to have the option of moving in the next 5 years, and taking the tank apart is just too much work, I'd rather just keep it simple and just have it 2' tall.

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
Motoro and P-14 have been ordered.

Sent from my C6603 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store