Converting to day geckos

kroxabp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Aquarium Desert
The top tank is getting converted
uploadfromtaptalk1404050232745.jpguploadfromtaptalk1404050232745.jpg
I'm planning on converting one of my tanks its a 90 gallon 48x18x24 to a day gecko live plant terrarium could use some help in regards to substrate maintenance as in how do I clean it with live plants growing in it I've had reptiles before so I know the general care I just don't know the rule in cleaning substrate when theres plants growing in it.. and if there's anymore info in regards to day geckos please share.. as for plants im thinking pothos, some ferns, moss ect.. mainly common terrarium plants
Sent from my SGH-T889 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kroxabp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Aquarium Desert
Sorry if this is in the wrong section im on my phone an didn't realize which I was in

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
I haven't kept Day Geckos in a while but I do keep Electric Blues (Lygodactylus williamsi) and they are closely related as well as diurnal. You really aren't going to have to worry much about cleaning the decor in the tank as much as you'll have to wipe down the glass. Their poo makes excellent fertilizer for the plants and will be broken down naturally. You can also add springtails to you setup and they will help to break down the gecko waste a little quicker. I keep my geckos in Exo Terra tanks with the front swinging doors so cleaning the glass isn't much of a chore. It will be a little more difficult to do so in a tank where you only have access from the top.

kroxabp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Aquarium Desert
Very appreciate the reply that's what I was hoping I don't mind wiping the glass when that time comes it'll be a lot easier than water changes are there any good mixes of soil you would recommend for humidity?

krausch

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2012
wisconsin
The soil or substrate should not need to be completely changed like ever. I have kept and bread gold dust day geckos. They are one of my favorite reptiles. They are lightning quick, so handling them is impossible, but once the terrarium is set up they are awesome to watch. There is a plant that almost all day geckos lay their eggs in, but I cant remember the name. If you dont have any books on the subject I would highly recomend this one. Good luck.

uploadfromtaptalk1404098302642.jpg

kroxabp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Aquarium Desert
Ok thanks sounds great.. I will be doing a tank progression thread once I get started

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
I use Eco Earth for substrate but first I put a layer of pea gravel down on the bottom of the tank for drainage. I also keep all my plants in pots so they're easy to remove if I want to switch them out.

kroxabp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Aquarium Desert
Ok yeah I have hydro balls that im going to use with the eco earth.. has anyone ever tried anoles in the same tank with the gecko or will the not get along?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store