Is my tank cycled?

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
HI, so I set up a 10 gallon tank 72 hrs ago. I read that Tetra safe start was one of two products that actually contain accurate nitrifying bacteria. So being curious if it actually works I gave it a go. I set up my tank, dumped in the tetra safe start and then a day later added four small zebra Daniels. Its been 72 hrs. since I added the bacteria and 48 hrs. since I added some fish. I've tested the water twice a day for the last three days. I have yet to detect any measurable levels of ammonia or nitrite. Today it looks like there is a small detection of nitrate. So, I'am I correct to think my tank cycled? It seems to good to be true, I've always cycled a tank the traditional way and this seems unreal. It looks like Tetra safe start actually works, unlike many of the cycle products that don't contain the correct bacteria.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Need result of tests, post some numbers! aka ammonia, nitrite, nitrates.

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
I'm pretty sure you have to add the fish right when you add the safestart....not sure if adding fish a day later would affect anything but it's a thought

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Id you do start gettinf ammonia readings do not do a wc dose again with safestart. I've used this product in the past works great

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Just keep testing your water and adding an additional dose just to be on the safe side is ok

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I used that stuff for a 7 gallon last week, you're right when you say its almost too good to be true; proof is in the pudding though!

Shortcuts for everything these days, not that I'm complaining lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store