Bichir ID# Not Senegal !

kody929

Candiru
MFK Member
May 16, 2013
Anywhere, Allthetime
I may be one of the only people sold a polypterus senegalus ( Senegal Bichir) and it ended up being something better. Now I was out of town and decided to check out the LFS in the area I was at. The selection was good but nothing I really consider exotic for a fish store but out of the corner of my eye I see this most peculiar bichir. It had dark brown stripes down the length of its body (horizontal) with pinstripe of its lighter, base color. I found it pretty odd that this pattern, for the most part, went through all its body. There was no price on it and only a picture of a Senegal a few tanks down. So I think to myself senegals have this pattern as babies and juveniles. At this point I didn't have the experience to be able to count dorsal spines etc and at that size it is fairly hard to tell Lower-Jaw from Upper-Jaw. So I ask employees and they say they don't know blah blah and end up saying its a senegal. I was so wishy-washy on the deal because I had 6 species at the time (now I have owned 10 different species :D) and I really didn't want a senegal. Along with that I was headed home requiring multiple errands along with a 10 hr drive. I actually left the store and out of gut instinct turned around and drove back to end up buying the little impostor. The choice was not some life or death decision lol but I was really torn about it. After taking the "senegal" home I almost returned him on several separate occasions. I really never paid much attention to him but a few days I really looked at him and told myself this is not a senegal. For some of you I don't know if I am qualified to make a guess at a species on a public forum haha ; ) but traversing back to the point I would say this is some variant of Polypterus Bichir possibly Lapradei. If you could help that would be awesome. I'm leaving a photo after this post.

kody929

Candiru
MFK Member
May 16, 2013
Anywhere, Allthetime
The imposter cost me 9$ ha . I have a 210g 7x2x2 that just needs filtration and that will be home for a while. Would anybody know what region it's from guinea, Nigerian lol I don't really know under jaw all that well. Here are some pics of other bichirs I own ansorgi and teugelsi.

image.jpg

image.jpg

kody929

Candiru
MFK Member
May 16, 2013
Anywhere, Allthetime
That ansorgii was a third the size if you can believe it. I paid 40$ for it but I think it's one of the prettier Lower jaws so I thought it was worth it. I got it from a LFS and they are super legit. They carry an extremely diverse selection of fish and get new fish every week. Like last week they got trimac cichlids, some madagascar cichlids that are called M(something)rambo they look like saltwater tang. They also have two mokelembembe bichirs for sale one for 120 and another for 180. I'm really grateful I have a few good LFS and one great one in my town. I'd like to see any pics other peoples bichir collection if they have any. Here's a better pic of teugelsi the weeksi may be in corner

image.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store