Siamese carp "calming" fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
I'm currently in the process of trying to find a good species of fish to cohab with my 4" red tailed siamensis. I have read many reports about them being overly skittish when kept singly, so I am looking for a species I can add to the quarantine tank to help it feel confident and feed well.

My main concern is with finding a fish that won't outcompete him for food, but that will eagerly schoal around with him. I have been contemplating trying fingerling common carp, as they seem to enjoy the company of other similarly shaped cyprinids, and are comparatively meek when feeding. Any other suggestions?

The Siamese will be quarantined in a 40 breeder until I feel it is stable enough to go in my 240 grow out. Also, please no lectures on how large this species has the potential to grow. I am fully aware, and am planning accordingly. I am no novice, nor your average aquarist.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Look into red scissor tails, I really like them but they may feel cramped in your QT

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
Are you referring to Rasbora caudimaculata? I've found most rasboras to be rather rambunctious feeders, and I don't want my siamensis to be getting out competed for his share of the food at such a small size.

Do you have experience keeping this species with large carp like cyprinids?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
What's wrong with using dark colored koi carps?

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
What's wrong with using dark colored koi carps?
Not a thing, I am simply looking for other peoples opinions. That's the beauty of public forums, it allows you to bounce ideas off of other hobbyists. Thanks for the suggestion!

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Are you referring to Rasbora caudimaculata? I've found most rasboras to be rather rambunctious feeders, and I don't want my siamensis to be getting out competed for his share of the food at such a small size.

Do you have experience keeping this species with large carp like cyprinids?
Mine are in with a pink tail for top water activity

Oxydoras

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2009
West Coast
Pink tail what? Chalceus? You've gotta be a little less vague with every species you're referencing.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Problem is that it's difficult to find young common carps for sale due to the laws and the fact that they are invasive species. Also it might takes a while to find the common carps while the koi carps are already available. Problem is that common carps often carrying parasites that might pose a threat to your only one saimese carp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store