Anyone Keep BGK's With Their Rays?

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
I know John c had one at one point but not sure if it ever went in with the rays. I considered it awhile ago but decided against it. Seems like it should work fine as long as size isn't a big issue.

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
Knife didnt make never ate...but I has with pups. If you know of a big one I would go for it .I know you feed alot.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
i used to have 3 big black ghost knife - averaging at 16inches. Sad to say I sold them. They are all living on my community tank with rays and bichir. Currently, I have 10inch BGK that I was expecting to be eaten but still alive and swimming alongside with my rays.

I think, if they are big enough (though i have some 3-4inches catfish) and have hiding places they can survive. Mine likes to hide in between with the branches of my Frankenstein Bonsai. It only swims out at night and feeding time.

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
I have 1 that's about 8-9" with my motoro that's around 8" disc and never had any problems, I would say if anything the ray would eat the knife if it was small enough but even that's unlikely as it would sense the ray before it got close enough IMO

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

murray8698

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2013
cincinnati, oh
I had my BGK with my rays for over a year, he hit about 10". Then one day he was gone checked everywhere for him. Only explanation I could come up with is that my big motoro or arowana got him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
got a BGK for a good 1 1/2 years with my rays. the BGK is about 12'' and is with a 14" and a 18" henlei pair. they all keep to themselves.

Kolossus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
Where the heart is!!!
I keep mine with rays with no problem. However, years ago (an some of you may remember) I had a small hystrix mysteriously get a chunk missing out of her disc. The knife was the only thing that could have done it...though it was a rarer species knife that I can't even remember the name of...but very close to a bgk.

They can sometimes be territorial but with all the space you have, you shouldn't have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
A friend of mine has a big bgk with his rays. He don't recommend it as they can get the eyes etc.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store