Frontosa fry grow out tank advice

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Getting 15 1-1.5 inch frontosa fry Tuesday setting up the grow out tank here's my plans please give advice where you see fit

50 gallon tank
Bare bottom
Marine land 350
Heater 80-82
Lots of river rocks to make caves and that while young as they get bigger take out more and more

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tparker

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2010
Burke, Va.
With bare bottom tank (no substrate), what will you do for ph given fronts require high ph (8.0+)?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

timbo6684

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2013
Surface of the Sun, Arizona
Why not throw them in the 220 you're planning to house them in? Besides size, super clean water is the only thing that will induce rapid growth. Twice weekly water changes will help with that.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
My 220 overflow is too strong and it has fish in it now so it's going to take a cpl weeks to clean the tank, and set it up and slow down the flow but I plan on having them in my 220 in a month or so

Why no caves? I can o without but I thought as babies or fry the caves would help them feel secure I see the reason no caves more water, more swim room...

The ph I am going to match what the breeder has. I didn't think of raising it so I will have to look into ways to do it I figured with bare bottom it'd help keep it cleaner while growing out

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
If you like caves go for it but you don't really need them. I would add rocks that they can swim in front of or behind, but I'd skip the caves. They are skiddish and the more they get used to movement around the tank the better. I grew out fry in that size range in a 55gal starting and moved to a 150 after a few months. I had sand substrate. Also I agree I would lower the temp. they don't need super warm water. I always have mine between 75-78ish, except summer its 79-81ish. Mid-upper 70's is a good range. A lot of water changes and good food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store