pond lilies

andy1985

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2007
London
Hi has anyone put pond lilies into a indoor tank before if so how to they look thinking of doing it for a new Channa setup I want to do.

Pbaff

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
SW Missouri
A red tiger lotus will work in most aquariums. Once they reach the surface they start to grow like crazy though. I have one in a 30 gal and it would cover 2/3 of the top of the tank in less than two weeks if left unattended. If you keep them trimmed up they will stay below the surface.

WhipPoorWill

Feeder Fish
Sep 11, 2012
Alabama
I don't understand why people say they are too large for indoor aquariums. You just have to keep them trimmed.

I have some pond lilies in my 10 gallon Betta tank, and I (and my fish) love it.

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I overwinter water lilies in a kiddy pool, where they tend to go semi dormant, even though they are artificially lit, and get some indirect sun.
Their root systems are fairly large, and the pots they require are about 18" in diameter and 12" to 15" deep.

in summer they almost totally cover the pond outdoors
Below is a shot from last week, the pond is about 4'wide and 12' long.

I have also tried water hyacinth inside, but as Joe said, generally does very poorly, although in a window with full sun (the window box above has a southern exposure and has a glass top), it can do well for a while, but usually dies back drastically, toward winters end.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store