My first arowana

MRE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Parrish, FL
I just picked up my first arowana today. While I was at my lfs I found out that they were closing down the fish portion of their business. While I was there they decided to discount all of their fish 50 percent off. So I decided that the 6 inch silver arowana that they had needed to go home with me. I snagged him for a mere $25 so I just couldn't resist. I put him in my 48 gallon tank for now until he gets large enough to safely move into my 150 gallon tank. I know he will eventually outgrow even the 150 gallon tank but by the time that happens I should have room to move him into a larger tank or pond. I did some research on them prior to and after buying him but I wanted to see if more experienced arowana caretakers had any pointers for keeping this guy healthy and how fast I should expect him to grow.

I will add a picture once the aquarium light goes on for the day.

joe5639

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
My silver arowana grew from 5 inches to more than a foot in a year of getting him, I fed him about every day with crickets, bloodworms, shrimp etc. Silver arowanas don't have scales so they are sensitive to medications. good luck with your new aro!

McPhish

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 7, 2014
MI
My silver arowana grew from 5 inches to more than a foot in a year of getting him, I fed him about every day with crickets, bloodworms, shrimp etc. Silver arowanas don't have scales so they are sensitive to medications. good luck with your new aro!
Arowanas have scales, distinctive scales that you can see. Feed your aro pellets for best health. Have mods move this to the arowana section.

1. have top of tank completely seal, arowanas can jump through any small openings
  2. maintain temperature 82F
  3. feed pellets
  4. avoid tankmates until aro is 8"+, they are skittish when small

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
Congrats. An Arrow is definitely on my list of must haves someday.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store