What Do You Feed Your Ray?

SOAP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2014
Salem, Oregon-USA
Getting some rays in the future trying to limit the cost of food in the long run so i thought id set up another tank (ill probably get a divorce over this one) and breed something that I could feed my ray's everyday. So let me know what kind of fish I can feed my freshwater rays thats healthy long term please, thanks for reading.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Frozen shrimp was the staple food 9f my rays when I had them. Find a local fish market and see if you can buy their scraps. Mine loved them and usually when a ray eats a fish they just eat the head. Every now and then id give mine rosie minnows to hunt but I wouldnt try to feed a ray just live fish. A worm farm would probably be a better home raised live food

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Depending how many rays you have it can cost more overall trying to grow food vs buying food. They eat allot. Worm farm seemed like a great idea till my pups ate them all in no time flat and I had to work on getting all sorts of stuff to feed them non stop so they would grow and produce well. Pellets are a great cheap option.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Shrimp are great, along with smelt. Both can be found cheap 3-5 bucks a pound so affordable. But many types do contain thiaminaise, so you don't to feed them exclusively of you want them to live long healthy lives.

I often catch catfish and bass fishing. I filet them and freeze the filets for a couple weeks, then feed to the fishes. I don't think many diseases-parasites survive the freeze, works well for me.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Tilapia is also cheap for a food fish. But after studying the conditions they are raised in, food they're fed and chemicals used in their Aqua culture, I just go with fish from my Lake that have been frozen.

SOAP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2014
Salem, Oregon-USA
Found a site they'll sell you a colony of tilapia consisting of 1 mature male and 5 mature females for $200 (thats just of one breed the other one was $300) thought i'd get those and start a small tilapia farm project, 55 gallon for the colony, and put a mesh divider in my 8' x 4' x 32" pond so i can put the smalls in one side and the med/large's in the other. This way I can pull and fillet fish as needed. Please tell me if you think one colony would be efficient to feed rays on a regular basis as long as I get the tilapia established and breeding first before purchasing and owning stingrays.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I think that would be a great idea but you may be able to get live tilapia much cheaper at a local Asian market. Maybe 10 bucks a fish. But you'd definitely need to treat them for everything under the sun to start sterile.

A 55 gallon would be likely too small. Depending on species.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
A lot of people use cichlids because they breed so frequently if you remove the fry. Not sure of the breeding rate of tilapia. I would research that and the max sizes of the species you are considering. I see them live at markets in the 10-12" range consistently so 55 gallon would likely be to small.

SOAP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2014
Salem, Oregon-USA
yeah i think id rather buy them from this website, the guy guarantees his fish colony's to already be a breeding colony. http://www.tilapiafarmingathome.com/Pages/default.aspx probably didnt do that right but that will get you to the website. Im gunna do this and get a decent amount of fish going before I buy stingray's. Ill grow them out and fillet and freeze them, feed them to my rays, sell em, eat em kinda works to my advantage. I knew I wanted a pond I just didnt know what I wanted to go in it now im thinking grow out pond :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store