Dead Stringray

charles-n-charge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Livingston Tx
This morning I found my male Cali ray dead. I'm looking for the cause of death and two things sent up red flags with me. A green spot on it's belly (looks like bile), and what looks like deteriorating skin on it's back.

Can anyone help me out?
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1404158581.862426.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1404158593.741136.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Excess bile could possibly be 'normal' as a post-mort finding as the gall bladder relaxes and it gets released. I've also seen them rupture, so it stains the liver green in the area.
The back looks like it was picked at after death as well.
Did you cut into it? If so, did you take pics? We might be able to help a little more for you.

charles-n-charge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Livingston Tx
Excess bile could possibly be 'normal' as a post-mort finding as the gall bladder relaxes and it gets released. I've also seen them rupture, so it stains the liver green in the area.
The back looks like it was picked at after death as well.
Did you cut into it? If so, did you take pics? We might be able to help a little more for you.
I would have, but I didn't have the time to. So I went ahead and buried him already. Those were the only pics that I got of him after he died.

The night before he died he wouldn't eat or swim at all though. And he's been less active for the past week or so than he used to be

Riley S

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2014
Minneapolis
Sounds like that could be a contributor since they more subtropical. Low 80's could be too far from their temp range, and I believe low to mid 70's is more in their upper limit. Did you have the ray last summer?

charles-n-charge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
Livingston Tx
Sounds like that could be a contributor since they more subtropical. Low 80's could be too far from their temp range, and I believe low to mid 70's is more in their upper limit. Did you have the ray last summer?
Low 70's is what I'm aiming for, but it's near impossible.

I got him last fall, so he was only in those high temps for a short period of time before it cooled down

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store