African cichlid with most personality

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
SA cichlid lovers always say that SA cichlids have better/more interesting personalities than than African cichlids, so I am curious what you African cichlids lovers love about African cichlids. Which African species you think have the most personality?

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
<tilapia buttikoferi in my avatar is the most personable fish ive ever owned by far.

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
I agree that the rift lake cichlids don't have much personality but some west african riverine species do.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
:WHOA:Frontosas are like little puppies. Feed from my hand, knows who I am but will hide when strangers are around the tank.

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
African rift lake cichlids can have as much personality as CA tank busters if you give them the right environment. African cichlids are small, so they are always kept in a community paying more attention to one another than the owner. If you keep a solitary African in its own tank, you will form a different opinion. There is a store in PA, Fish Factory, that keeps Africans in solitary cubicles just like coral fish. I was surprised to see 3 inch OB Peacocks, Dragon Blood peacock, and Mbuna in a tiny cubicle turned into glass bangers. The store staff told me that even normally mellow Frontosa kept in a cubicle have turned into a glass banger.

jrrlbds7

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2011
Kingwood, Texas
African rift lake cichlids can have as much personality as CA tank busters if you give them the right environment. African cichlids are small, so they are always kept in a community paying more attention to one another than the owner. If you keep a solitary African in its own tank, you will form a different opinion. There is a store in PA, Fish Factory, that keeps Africans in solitary cubicles just like coral fish. I was surprised to see 3 inch OB Peacocks, Dragon Blood peacock, and Mbuna in a tiny cubicle turned into glass bangers. The store staff told me that even normally mellow Frontosa kept in a cubicle have turned into a glass banger.

That's very interesting to know...I wonder if it has to do with a social fish just going nuts because its by itself?
ANYWAYS
I keep a F1 Midas and then an African community (separate tanks, 125g and 75g, respectively). I would say my little Electric Blue Peacock has the most personality in the tank, but not towards me. When all the fish start fighting he regulates and breaks up the fight. It's very interesting to see :grinno:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Though I agree most rift lake Africans don't have the sense of humor of new worlds such as Geophangine red humps, or devious, satanic, femininity of Vieja, or macho strut of Parachromis and other predatory Heroines, and have that old world sort of elite aloofness (aspergers quaity) that can be taken as air heads.
Some have their moments of enlightenment, though subtle.

I also find that the Madgascans (not truly African) somewhat transcend that continental personality divide, in a graceful if not dorkish manner.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store