What The Heck Are These!?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
A few weeks ago I setup a 20 gallon Rubbermaid bin on my deck to breed trapdoor snails for my darters. Up until today it's just been a few snails and their babies, tons of algae, and anacharis in the bin. Well I go outside to look a few minutes ago and there's these disturbing looking tiny worm things with spines on their sides and one eye jerking around on the bottom and in the water column. I have no idea whatsoever what they are but I'd like to know what they are before I stick my arm in there for another water change.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Caught one in a syringe then out it in a jar to get a better look. It's yellowish tan with a black head/eye thing and it looks like it might possibly have a small stinger on the end of it. In the first picture it's
Under the I in the word in.
image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Can't make out anything from the pics, but I'm thinking mosquito larvae aka baby mosquitoes

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
You cannot leave stagnant water outside this time of year. Unless you want to be the neighborhood mosquito breeding ground.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Ok, that's what I kind of figured. Well at least I've got some good insect food for my fish now :). Yeah I need to get a few gambusia or something like that to eat them everytime mosquitos breed in there.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I think placing cheap tulle fabric over your container should keep mosquitoes away from the water to preventing breeding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store