Red mangrove water quality

SkeptikalScabies

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta
Hello,
I currently have a brackish paludarium with mudskippers in it, I used a lot of driftwood and cork bark in the design of the tank. It looks really good in my opinion; but the wood and especially the cork bark really turn the water yellow even though i soaked them for a good while and after being in the tank for a few months. This isnt a problem because it forces me to do water changes regularly, otherwise my room stinks like cork. I am however throwing out a lot of water (those mudskippers could outcrap a goose). My lfs has started carrying red mangrove seedlings, and I want to put one in a smallish aquarium and grow it as a house plant. My question for you is, can I put my old mudskipper water in the tank with the red mangrove to provide it with more nutrients, or would it just be better to use freshly made brackish water?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I would think old mudskipper water would be perfect for a mangrove.
I have been contemplating a similar brackish tank for a while now, ever since I snorkeled some Yucatan cenotes that were surrounded in mangrove. I was thinking of starting the mangrove in the tank proper but later moving it into a direct sunlit sump as it grows to add volume and constant nitrate removal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store