yay or nay on this tank

mopani

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
Earth
found a 240 with stand for under a buck a gallon, owner is tired of fish and getting out, when he bought tank the 2x braces were shotty, and the previous owner had put steal braces on tank, He said it didnt bow. He said he still put a 1/2 glass piece on top though and did a euro type brace. in Pics the tank is filled. he said though were braces broke when tank is full and you have a airstone or sponge filter making the water choppy it gets wet there. not enough to leak down tank but just enough for you to run your hand over and feel water, Yay or na guys, still getting my 475 but thought this would be a good severum tank

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
That would be a lot of water on the floor if it should ultimately give. If you're planning on putting it where flooding wouldn't really be a major issue, then I say go for it.....................if he's willing to let it go for no more than $175

mopani

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
Earth
not that cheap, will be in fish room with concrete floor, only thing it may ruin is is other stands. still not sure about this, I want all the advice I can get from yall, he has had it up for years like this

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
not that cheap, will be in fish room with concrete floor, only thing it may ruin is is other stands. still not sure about this, I want all the advice I can get from yall, he has had it up for years like this
Its your money so choice is yours obviously, but tank is possibly a time bomb. I personally would negotiate the price lower because sure, the tank has held water all these years, but it also probably hasn't been move around either, so it's a gamble for you. If you buy this tank, It will have to be moved around and there will be stressed involved to the this very heavy tank. Weak areas are going to be especially stressed and structural integrity will be questionable. GL in your decision.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Why not repair it and make it a take worth while. Broken tanks are easy to come by. Offer him cash at the amount you want see if he accepts if not say that if he gets a better offer great if not I can follow up with you in two weeks and see if it's sold or not. Then try in another two weeks but add that broken tanks are impossible to sell but I'm willing to put in the work and effort to make this tank right. It will cost me some money to do that and I feel xxx amount is appropriate for the tank in its condition.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

mopani

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
Earth
after hearing all that no sure then, i honestly dont want to put the work into it, it is 250.00 with a nice wood built stand, not lazy just dont NEED this tank as when my 8x4x2 is done everyone will have a good spacious home, just thought a good deal.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
if you aren't excited , don't do it , imo... too much work to do if you aren't having fun ... too big a tank for the trash can..I DON'T think it will break if it's up and running now, I have a 4 ft tank with a broken center brace ...used a wood clamp to hold the top ... 5 yrs ago... it's STILL fine ... I know the size difference is big , but the principle remains ,if you kinda want it, and it's empty have the guy fill it up and see if it bows, then start to consider your options .. if he doesn't want to fill it , beware

mopani

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
Earth
its filled now and running, but in new house, new fish room, that is a lot of water, got a free 150 with centerbrace cracked and a piece of steel drilled holding it together and it bends and been running 2 years, I will see if can get him down sub 200, also a ***** to line people up to move it

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
its filled now and running, but in new house, new fish room, that is a lot of water, got a free 150 with centerbrace cracked and a piece of steel drilled holding it together and it bends and been running 2 years, I will see if can get him down sub 200, also a ***** to line people up to move it
the moving part is the trick ...once a guy moves stuff a couple of times , the incentive to "help out " kinda goes away

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store