3D Background in set up tank.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Is there a way to attach a Back To Nature Slimline background, in an already running aquarium. The Back To Nature Slimline backgrounds come in small pieces, so i would be 3 large pieces, and 1 small piece.
I can also get a 3D Background from this other company, where its a whole background, not just small pieces, if that would be easier to attach to an already running tank. If tank size has anything to do with it, my tank is 160cm long, and 60cm high.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Usually whole backgrounds need to be cut to fit in a tank assuming it has top bracing. That being said, your background usually goes from top to bottom which would be nearly impossible if you have substrate. If it were a snug fit top to bottom, you may not need to silicone it in. Never used that brand background but the others ive used were made from styrofoam and were very boyant and needed to be held in place, but I only has 2 of them and they were both on rimless tanks so no trim to hold them down

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Usually whole backgrounds need to be cut to fit in a tank assuming it has top bracing. That being said, your background usually goes from top to bottom which would be nearly impossible if you have substrate. If it were a snug fit top to bottom, you may not need to silicone it in. Never used that brand background but the others ive used were made from styrofoam and were very boyant and needed to be held in place, but I only has 2 of them and they were both on rimless tanks so no trim to hold them down
The Back To Nature backgrounds are only 55cm high, and the tank is 60cm high.

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
I think one of the silicones wensday used on his liner tanks can set under water... dunno if it would be safe to use with fish in the tank tho...Think he said it was like $25 dollars a tube as well. Not a definitive solution but something to look into I suppose.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Since the bg is shorter than the tank I would just put a panel in place then push the substrate against that panel and a few rocks then repeat until you're all the way across. The buoyancy will keep it to the top and the substrate/rocks will keep it vertical and make a nice transit from vertical wall to tank bottom. Ive had 3 designsbynature slimelines none of which were siliconed and while they all fit snug it is these experiences that make me believe it will work, worst case scenario you're in the same position you're in now.

Vanica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
Alberta, Canada
It can be dried with a towel but most silicone takes 24-48 hours to cure. If you really can't drain your tank do what bbortko said. I would lean some heavier decor against it. Large pieces of driftwood or some rocks and it shouldn't go anywhere. Just be sure to wash it good before putting it in and add a little de chlorination if you use tap water to wash it.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
It can be dried with a towel but most silicone takes 24-48 hours to cure. If you really can't drain your tank do what bbortko said. I would lean some heavier decor against it. Large pieces of driftwood or some rocks and it shouldn't go anywhere. Just be sure to wash it good before putting it in and add a little de chlorination if you use tap water to wash it.
I dont use de chlorinate, there are minimal amounts of chlorine in the tap water in denmark.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store