Cement bricks to raise ph

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
The gentleman I bought my frontosa from had cement bricks in all his tank when I asked why he said to raise ph that by doing so he is able to keep his ph up cheaper and better then any buffers you buy to add and works great for when you have a bare bottom tank or a substrate that won't buffer ph what are your thoughts on this he seemed like he knew what he was talking about said he's been doing it for years never had a problem just have to monitor it

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
The gentleman I bought my frontosa from had cement bricks in all his tank when I asked why he said to raise ph that by doing so he is able to keep his ph up cheaper and better then any buffers you buy to add and works great for when you have a bare bottom tank or a substrate that won't buffer ph what are your thoughts on this he seemed like he knew what he was talking about said he's been doing it for years never had a problem just have to monitor it

Baking soda is pretty cheap and safer.

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
I would just use crushed coral or texas holey rock, I don't mess with mix in buffers because you have to the add and monitor. I like to have substrate or deco that does it for me and keeps it relatively stable.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Can you have too much ph buffering stuff? I mean if you do Texas holey rock and like 80 lbs of it will it raise the ph higher then if you had 10 lbs? Or is it more of a raise it to 8.2 no matter how much but it will just raise quicker and be more stable if you have more kinda like having a 220 vs a 50 yea both will have ammonia or nitrates but the 220 will take longer to get toxic

evojoey

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
Turnersville, South Jersey
Baking soda works the best. Aragonite sand will help like Suprd stated. You'd need a lot of Holey rock to raise your ph. Personally, I do nothing with my ph. Fish do very well and are always spawning. You don't have to replicate the lakes parameters for the fish to do well. The key is stable water parameters. Cinder blocks are ugly anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store