How do you save money in an expensive hobby?

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I'm curious to know how everyone cuts costs in a hobby that can be quite expensive. Some ways that I do:

Homemade frozen food - Super easy, super good for the fish, and it is way cheaper to buy seafood at the supermarket than a Petstore. (I also feed normal frozen food to certain fish, as well as NLS, but my frozen is one of the main staples.)

Craigslist - I have found so many good deals on tanks on CL. You just have to be a good bargainer/willing to just watch the ads and be patient. I figured out I bought 550 gallons in tanks (8 tanks total) off CL in the past year for $165. It also helps if you are willing and able to re-seal the tanks.

DIY - I do a lot of DIY. TheKingofDIY on YouTube is very helpful, so I have made some of my own filters, and other paraphernalia, including my own base rock for my SW tank. It is amazing how much you can make if you're willing to be handy.

Breeding fish - This is new, and I am not sure if this will help offset the costs yet, but I figure if I have the fish and equipment anyway, I might as well make a concerted effort to breed some of my rarer/more expensive fish. We will see how that goes.

Make friends with LFS, and watch Petsmart sales - At least here Petsmart (NOT Petco) has pretty good fish, and great sales. They are especially nice for picking up big groups of schooling fish. Also I have made friends with the LFS, and so they will often give me very good deals, because they know and like me.

LEDs and unheated aquariums - This is also new, but I am thinking of changing over entirely, or at least mostly, to LEDs since I found a DIY LED light I can do for about $25. I need to check what the saving would be on the electric bill. I also intentionally keep some fish that don't require heaters, both because I like them, and it saves money. (Native darters, sunfish, gymnogeophagus, goldfish, salt and pepper corys)

Collect you own stuff - I keep native fish, and not only do I really enjoy collecting my own fish, it is free. In addition, I collect my own driftwood, rocks, and some plants.

And lastly... Never buy anything at the fish store if that same product going by a different name is available at the hardware or grocery store.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I save up, failing that I curl into the foetal position and cry lol.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I have just recently started keeping the lights off while I am at work. I am out of the house most of the day, ambient light is plenty of light for fish. The lights are on when I am watching them.

This may sound blasphemous but keep less tanks. I had 7 tanks going at once. some people have way more. But I have found I am just as happy with my 2 tanks (3 when I have fry) as I am with 7. I just have to tell my self NO more often and listen.

oh and never use a credit card for fish if you can't afford it don't buy it. I know, I know some people pay it off monthly but most do not.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I think it might be worth mentioning that buying a quality product from the start will generally save you money down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

I have just recently started keeping the lights off while I am at work. I am out of the house most of the day, ambient light is plenty of light for fish. The lights are on when I am watching them.

This may sound blasphemous but keep less tanks. I had 7 tanks going at once. some people have way more. But I have found I am just as happy with my 2 tanks (3 when I have fry) as I am with 7. I just have to tell my self NO more often and listen.

oh and never use a credit card for fish if you can't afford it don't buy it. I know, I know some people pay it off monthly but most do not.
This is good advice.

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Yep. I had 6 tanks going before. I spent more in electric on those 6 smaller tanks that all together didn't equal much more water than my one tank I have now. Not to mention it's a whole lot less work, which makes the hobby more enjoyable for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Spend extra money on efficient things like leds over t5 and I order most stuff online. 250ml seachem excell is 14.99 at my lfs. 2 liters or 8x as much is about 30 on amazon and free shipping.

I also have downgraded the size of my tanks greatly, couple years ago I had a 500g but couldnt afford to get it how I wanted and now have a 57g with all the nice high end stuff I wanted(filtration lighting etc). When and only when I have the money to do a proper monster setup ill get back into the big stuff

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Spend extra money on efficient things like leds over t5 and I order most stuff online. 250ml seachem excell is 14.99 at my lfs. 2 liters or 8x as much is about 30 on amazon and free shipping.

I also have downgraded the size of my tanks greatly, couple years ago I had a 500g but couldnt afford to get it how I wanted and now have a 57g with all the nice high end stuff I wanted(filtration lighting etc). When and only when I have the money to do a proper monster setup ill get back into the big stuff
I hear you bro, I love my 57g, agree with everything you said, I do hate being size limited on the fish I can stock though :p

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store