Scored a new acrylic tank - couple questions

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Two great pieces of news:
1. I grabbed an 8x2x2 drilled acrylic tank for basically $1/gallon :)
2. My wife has not divorced me for bringing it home!!!

Now, the tank has quite a few scratches, and I'm prepared to wet sand if need be, but I was curious about people's experience using a dual-action car polisher on a tank like this? It has certainly made maintenance on my black car much easier, but is it safe for acrylic?

Also, there are a few bubbles at some of the seams, which I've read is fairly common on larger tanks, but I would still appreciate your opinions on the pictures I will be posting this evening.

Thanks in advance for any help.
- John

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Any wetsand paper will work. Any buffer would work. Any car polish will work. The grit depends on how deep the scratch is but get the finest grit wetdry sand paper and finish with that and then buff or your going to be buffing forever.

I also have tons of bubbles in my 125 and its perfectly normal and still safe.

Just make sure you really give it a good rinse and get all of polish residue out.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Thanks guys. Most of my bubbles look similar to your Daniel, there is just one spot I've found that looks a bit more severe, but I may just be being paranoid.

So you think that my Meguairs dual action polisher will work for removing the shallower scratches? I'm guessing I should use the lowest speed to avoid heat issues?

Here are some pics. Thanks again.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1404353551.067983.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1404353562.864716.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1404353575.096401.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1404353597.629684.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1404353618.311949.jpg

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
That should work just fine, but always try a test portion on the bottom of the tank closest to the front panel so even if it does mess up it'll be rather easy to hide if that makes sense. But even if it is messed up you can just buff it out lol. I used the highest speed on my 10 inch buffer and it seemed to work just fine but always start slow to avoid splatters haha. Just be comfortable with it and you'll be fine.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Thanks guys. I guess I'll test it out tonight or tomorrow and see how it goes.

And yes, this is probably the one you saw on CL. Just curious, what were the guys over on the cichlid forum saying about this one?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store