1000 gallon plywood bottom help

Blazez

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 7, 2014
Sweden
hey I'll going to build a glass aquarium with plywood bottom with these dimensions 290x210x65 cm. so can some of you guys explain how to apply silicon on the plywood and If i should silicone the glass against bottten and should I'll treat the edges of the plywood to?? and what should i use to seal the plywood with?, I will use three pieces of plywood with dimensions of 240x120 cm.and woulde 12mm glass and 21mm plywood be enough?so all the plywood pieces will have these dimenisions 87x210cm
if you have any thoughts, then ask!!

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
I would suggest you use epoxy to seal the plywood, and I would have edges that acted as a rim for the bottom. I believe you would either need to permanently fixing the plywood to a stand, or doubling up the thickness so you can offset the seams. I think you are at the limit of 12mm glass at that height(about 2.5 times safety factor) unless you will be bracing the top somehow.

Blazez

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 7, 2014
Sweden
okay thanks I'm building a bench of wood and i will put on 16mm plywood for the bench so it compensates seams.och I'll run with rim at the top and some bracing will be done

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store