Will getting new filters decycl my tank?

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
Im upgrading my tank with new filters I'm currently running 2 emperor 400s and moving to 2 rena xp3s. My question is wont putting two brand new filters on there mess up my all rdy cycled tank?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
No. Run all the filters together now. In about 2-3 weeks the 2 new filters will be seeded as well. If you plan to remove the hobs, then after this period remove just 1, then the other in another 2 weeks.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I would leave them all running for 6 to 8 weeks, or use the media from the old filters. 2 weeks not long enough to cycle a new filter IMHO.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I would leave them all running for 6 to 8 weeks, or use the media from the old filters. 2 weeks not long enough to cycle a new filter IMHO.
I would have to disagree, but if OP wants to let it run for 6-8wks it definitely wouldn't be wrong.....just not necessary. In any case, a good water test kit will let you know definitively.

Place the media from the hobs in the xp's and you are good to go.
Won't work. Emperor 400 uses Bio-Wheels as a bio medium, so you can't just stick the Bio-Wheels into the canisters.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
agreed there. and yes a API master fresh water test kit. do not change your fishes home with out it. "what do you have in your tank"?

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
1Texas, 1jack, 1clown knife, 1leopard spotted cat, 1 peacock bass 1pleco and a aro awaiting to be transferred in at any time but I wanted to wait untill the new filters where in so I could customize the back of my canopy with chicken wire to close all possible holes for him to jump through(I just sold my 24 inch aro so the fish are use to them at least my last one). I do have a api test kit and I check it every week as it is, thx every one! Info was very helpful:)

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Agree. Place the old media in the new filters or let them all run simultaneously for a much longer period of time (5-6 weeks sounds fine.) Very little BB is alive floating in the water column and the ones that are on the old media aren't going jump over there. BB are sessile bacteria meaning they primarily expand to areas directly adjacent to existing bacteria, like a vine, rather than spreading like a virus when you cough into the air.

You can take large pieces of the old media as well, and cut the time down to 2-3 weeks if you prefer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store